Monday, January 30, 2012

Random Acts of Running

Another outdoor run, another productive day. And another odd mix of treasures. Anybody have an explanation for the 2XL men’s vest lying in the road on Academy Street? It must have been one hell of a wedding reception! Or maybe it was an accidental loss after Sunday’s bridal and prom fair at Sandburg Mall. 

I decided to follow up on that possibility and called Sabrina’s Bridal and Formal Wear and Ducky’s Formal Wear to see if either carried the Umo Lorenzo brand. Nope. But the woman who answered the phone at Ducky’s was appreciative of my effort at least. "That was very nice of you," she said. See, I'm not such a bad guy.

In fact, I think I'll take the vest, and future findings if they seem appropriate, to Prairie Players for their costume shop. Maybe they’d have some use for it; the vest was in fine condition and bore only a couple of small mud spatters, which came out neatly in the wash.

Where Seminary curves around to the South Street
underpass.
My route today was determined at random, on a whim as it were. I simply headed west on Ferris Street and kept going. Ultimately I decided to head south again and hit the W.C. Jackson Bridge that takes Third and Fourth streets over the BNSF rail yards. Yes, you read that correctly, two streets. From the west it’s Third Street that mounts the bridge; from the east it is Fourth – just a little jog in the road.

I’m no wild train aficionado, but I enjoy the view from the bridge and watching the operations in the yard. I really should carry a camera with a zoom lens, even a point and shoot, rather than just my cellphone. Anyway, I enjoy the little climb over the bridge and view – it’s a nice route. 

It was along South Seminary Street, near an access road into the rail yard, that I found a green Knox County 4-H visor with a practical terry cloth lining for a sweaty brow. Maybe I could package it with the tennis ball I picked up on Ferris Street across from the Nissan dealership and present them to tennis-playing D2 Amanda.

Near the access road to the BNSF yard off South Seminary Street.
One final note: Got off to a great start with the two best songs George Michael ever made, one from his solo career and one from the Wham! Days. Nice.

Today's Stats
Temp: 43 degrees F
Distance: 3 miles
Treasure: 1 Men's suit vest (black, 2XL, by Umo Lorenzo); 1 Knox County 4-H visor (green); 1 Penn tennis ball; 1 America's Best Value Inn key card; 21 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Turpentine - JJ Grey & Mofro
You're My Thrill - Joni Mitchell
Crucifixion - John Debney (The Passion of the Christ soundtrack)
Never Gonna Give YouUp - Rick Astley (Did he grow up and become David Caruso?)
Walk This Way - Aerosmith
Lately - Greg Brown

Probably too small to tell in this photo from the eastern slope of the W.C. Jackson Bridge (Fourth Street),
but near the base of the trees are a baby carrier and a child's booster seat. I found that odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment