Sunday, January 8, 2012

It's That Time Again

Yeah, I was insinuating "Tebow Time." Now, I'll admit I had no faith in the Denver Broncos today. I'm no fair-weather fan, but I'm also not a fool. The second quarter of that game was about as stunning as the second quarter of Super Bowl XXII (Broncos vs. Redskins), though in a good way this time. Of course it's that sort of history that had me in a state of skepticism. Or shall I say realism?

AP
Denver receiver Demaryius Thomas breaks away from Pittsburgh defensive back Ryan Mundy.
Thomas' 80-yard touchdown was the game-winning score in a 29-23 win on Sunday.
I suffered three increasingly worse Super Bowl losses in four years in the infancy of my Broncos fandom. I stuck with them through the years, like any faithful fan, and my loyalty was rewarded with back-to-back championships to send my hero John Elway into retirement on top. The team faded fast, showed a glimmer of hope a few years back, then watched the sun set again. After a allowing myself to believe in 2005 only to suffer another humiliating defeat, this time at the hands of the Steelers in the AFC Championship, I returned to only passing interest in Broncos football.

So, I still love the Broncos, but I don't get so caught up in the excitement and I hold fast to realism and skepticism. And that's how I feel about next week's matchup with the Patriots. I'll hope and pray (not really pray) but I don't expect another win. Still, today was fun, if a little anxiety-inducing. The 29-23 OT win, the fastest OT win in NFL history, was awesome! That's entertainment, folks.

To celebrate, I did a couple miles around the track. That felt good. 

Today's Stats
Temp: 35 degrees F outside
Distance: 2.25 miles
Weekly Total: 10.75
Treasure: 1 Denver Broncos playoff victory (found before the run).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Come Go With Me - Expose
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears
Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
You Keep Me Hangin' On - Kim Wilde
Cordy Meets Fred - Robert Kral (Angel TV series)
Mockingbird (live) - Ryan Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment