Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Working Title Production

Music as motivator? Sometimes. My friend and fellow runner (wait, did I just include myself as a runner?) Carmen was talking about the importance of motivational music, and its fluidity, Saturday on the way to the Run Your Ice Off Hardcore 5K in Kewanee. She made note (pun intended) of how a certain song can be a motivator one day but may fall flat (yep) another.

Nothing on the indoor track, but I found two frozen shirts
on the street Monday while biking and driving.
I see her point. And yet, as much as I love music and as much as music can affect my mood, it doesn’t often affect my run. Let me explain. (I’ll try to pick up this track after I actually go for my run in a minute here; just wanted to get the thread started while it was in my head.) What Carmen was talking about is being “in the zone.” Literally hitting her stride. I won’t deny that music can affect mine, but for me that’s more a physical/mental thing, whereas music is about emotion. For me.

Oh, music affects me physically, too. I can’t help but move to it (no, I don’t really dance – I’ve been accused of being an SNL head-bobber). Just as certain tunes entice me to put the pedal to the metal (“Hair of the Dog” for example), some have a beat that affects my pace, or at least my cadence. Ben Lee’s “Catch My Disease” does something to me. My arms pump more dramatically when it starts. I kind of sway side to side as I run, sort of turning my torso from the shoulders because of the increased arm-pumping. “Hungry Like the Wolf” inspires a little burst of speed.

I think, though, because of my physical limitations (are they in part psychological? probably) I don’t allow music to dictate my pace. I can’t maintain it. My zone is mental and physical. The emotion of music lingers below the surface. Fortunately, the endorphins produced by running tend to counter any sadness triggered by music as it draws memories to the fore. Maybe Rob Gordon should have taken up running.

Today's Stats
Temp: 28 degrees F (outside)
Distance: 3 miles
Weekly Total: 6 miles
Treasure: 1 Danskin Now shirt, women’s LG (13-14), navy blue; 1 Fruit of the Loom tank, men’s XL, orange (both found Monday while on errands, one biking, one driving).

iPod Playlist (KGHS mix - partial)
Caught Up In You - .38 Special
Somebody’s Baby – Jackson Browne
Time For Me To Fly – REO Speedwagon
Rosanna – Toto (For you drummers out there, check out this video of "Jeff Porcaro laying down his fine shuffle work on the tune Rosanna."
Mr. Roboto – Styx
Owner Of A LonelyHeart – Yes (Not the video you think it is. Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment