Saturday, January 21, 2012

Yo, keep your freedom to yourself

That seems to be the dominant philosophy of freedom in the United States these days. You believe in God. Great, keep quiet about it. You believe in gay marriage?! Whatever, just don't flaunt it in front of me. You believe in global warming? All well and good, but don't mock my big car. 

Why does it seem that expressing your beliefs is suddenly taboo? You're free to believe what you want, just don't tell anybody about it. At least not publicly. And especially if you're famous and in the limelight where the public is "forced" to hear you.

Just ask Tim Tebow. Or you can just let me tell you about it, because he's busy talking to God. What follows is a rant I started last weekend and just never got 'round to finishing. 

God wants Tim Tebow to win, and you, too

That's right, God, as our father, wants us all to win, to succeed in life, to be prosperous and happy. Don't all parents want that for their children? Well, all but the dregs of humanity like Susan Smith and the Shues. 

Does that mean when Tebow and the Broncos pulled a win out of their nether regions that God had anything to do with it? Not really. At least not in the way Tebow haters seem to think Tebow believes. And I think that's all a misinterpretation of Tebow's beliefs by religion-hating folks who think anytime somebody espouses his or her beliefs publicly it's "shoving it in my face."

I've heard that from a lot of people. And I'll tell you, even as a church-going Christian, I find Tebow's expression of faith disturbing. OK, not quite disturbing, but I was going for a spin on Darth Vader's line. But even Kurt Warner, another QB known for his reverence to the Lord, suggested Big Tim back off a bit.

It's disturbing, or at least discomfiting, because the end result of public praise is misinterpretation and malignancy. As a church-goer and one who is thus somewhat familiar with modern Christian theory, I'll attempt to explain why Tebow, and other athletes who acknowledge God in their successes, do that.

I don't remember people hating Mark Bavaro for
genuflecting after every touchdown he scored. I always
thought it a wonderful gesture, much more classy than
spiking the ball or leaping into the stands.

1. God has a plan for me
The Bible says God knows everything. In fact he knows your name before your parents do and he knows how many hairs are on your head (or would be if you didn't shave it). Does that mean God chose for Tebow and the Broncos to beat the Steelers, then a week later chose to favor Tom Brady and the Patriots? Brady's blood relation to God notwithstanding, I don't think Tebow or any other player ever meant "God wanted me to win this game because I am the chosen one." When Tebow said, "God has a plan for me," he was simply stating a common Christian belief that God knows the course of your life before it happens. He doesn't take a hand in it, per se, affecting events around you to ensure a particular outcome.

2. The Great Commission
You may not have heard of that, but you know about it. The Great Commission is the charge embraced by evangelicals, from Matthew 28:19-20. "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

I don't believe that's a call for jihad but rather a directive to spread the Good Word. Teach others about God. Enlighten the world to His goodness and bring them into the fold so that they, too, may have everlasting salvation. Yadda, yadda. 


That's where some of us fall short as "good Christians." We've succumbed to the peer pressure to keep our beliefs to ourselves. To many who are averse to religion and lump faith in with that, any public expression of one's faith is offensive and tantamount to attempted brainwashing. Don't misunderstand me, there's plenty wrong with religion, just as there's plenty wrong with government. Likewise, there's a big difference between religion and faith just as there is between government and democracy. There are elements in the framework of each, however, that are worthwhile. One, for example, is the camaraderie of a church community.

Anyway, this diatribe aside, I don't tend to wear my faith on my sleeve (though I did wear a symbol on my ear the past two weeks). And I don't suspect that'll change. I'll talk about it freely and willingly should the subject come up, but I didn't pause to praise God last year when I collected my AP award for headline writing. (Maybe that's why I haven't had as many great headlines this year.) But should the occasion arise that I feel compelled to credit Christ for my personal achievement, I would hope others wouldn't hate me for it. After all, God is love, baby. Save the hatin' for Satan.

Today's Stats
Temp: 16 degrees F (outside, ran inside)
Distance: 3 miles (plus .25 mile cooldown)
Weekly Total: 9.25 miles
Treasure: Same ol' nothin'.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
The Grand Illusion - Styx
Narrow Daylight - Diana Krall
Werewolves of London (cover) - Adam Sandler
Studebaker - Jordan Zevon
One Room Country Shack - Buddy Guy
Desperados Under the Eaves (live) - Warren Zevon
When You Sleep - Cake
Poor, Poor Pitiful Me (cover) - Jackson Brown

Wednesday's Stats
Temp: 10 degrees F (outside, ran inside)
Distance: 3 miles
Weekly Total: 6
Treasure: Nil.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Yer Blues - The Beatles
I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab for Cutie
I'll Take My Sorrow Straight - Iris Dement
4:37 A.M. (Arabs With Knives & West German Skies) - Roger Waters
Red Dress - James McMurtry
Virgin State of Mind - K's Choice (From "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series)
Friends (live) - Page and Plant

1 comment:

  1. VERY well said. I have more thoughts, but I think this has spurred a blog posts to be done this week. If not, I promise to come back & tell you what I was thinking. Until then....BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete