Monday, January 23, 2012

Timing Is Everything

Again I couldn’t drag my butt out of bed with the alarm this morning. I knew I should. I wanted to. Perhaps it was the looming day shift and a noon blood donation (platelet pheresis) that left me lacking the necessary motivation. Or maybe it was my aching legs.

I'll try to remember to share a pic of the goodies after they've been washed.
  Whatever it was, I delayed, figuring I could hit the track after D3 (my youngest daughter) came for dinner and some time with Dad. As it turns out, the outside temp seemed comfy enough that I decided to hit the streets again – finally. Boy did it feel good. OK, so the watery eyes and runny nose from the crisp night air weren’t the greatest feeling, but it was refreshing to be outdoors and I found some cool stuff. That’s got to make everyone happy.

I headed out the door about 9:45 p.m. The cans came quickly, with the first appearing just across the street from my apartment. The second was noteworthy, though, because as I banged it on the ground to knock the dirt off it regurgitated a stash of used insulin syringes. I figure most insulin users are responsible folk who dispose of their syringes properly, so these were likely repurposed for illegal drug use. Nice.

Pepsi, choice of a doper generation.
Through the course of the next 2.25 miles or so I picked up a stocking cap, a mitten and a couple of stuffed toys. And some more cans. But that’s not bad after a month and a half of zilch. I call it the Broad Street Bonanza. Everything was found along Broad Street from Ferris to Fremont.

All in all it was a pretty good run.

Today's Stats
Temp: 33 degrees F
Distance: 2.43 miles
Treasure: 1 black stocking cap; 1 Spider-Man stuffed-toy football; 1 stuffed-toy chipmunk; 1 United Facilities employee ID tag; 1 black and grey mitten (fingerless conversion); 9 cans (1 stuffed with 5 used insulin syringes).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Right Here Now – James McMurtry (This guy is great!)
I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
Everywhere I Go – Willie Nelson & Emmylou Harris
Hold On Loosely - .38 Special
Lawyers, Guns and Money – Warren Zevon

No comments:

Post a Comment