Saturday, May 26, 2012

Crazy Eights

There’s something about these Mizunos. They’ve pushed me past my usual limits the first two times I’ve worn them on the streets of our fair burg. Pushed me right out of the city’s limits Friday!

North side of the County 10 bridge, looking northwest.
As is often the case (so often that perhaps I no longer need to note it each time), I headed out Friday with a general direction in mind, then, facing a crossroads (actually a T intersection this time) I pondered briefly which way to turn. My initial intent was to head north again, knowing roughly the route I’d need to clock a solid six miles. It occurred to me, however, that I hadn’t been south in some time. On a dime (or on the penny I'd found a few blocks back) I turned right and headed south on Farnham Street.

It was then that I started to imagine a path that would push me to extremes. So it was that I found myself westbound on Fifth Street near the edge of town. Then on Davis Street, actually the southern border of town. Then I headed south on Seminary with an eye cast toward the BNSF classification yard and the broad bridge that carries Knox County Highway 10 over the yard. (Aside: is it yard or yards? Seems it should be singular, but maybe technically it is sectioned so the plural would work. The plural sounds better, that’s for sure.)

Looking south from the southeast side of the bridge.
I stopped a few times to photograph the bridge as I inched closer; first from Seminary Street, then from County 10 just west of Seminary, then a little farther along as the curve of the road came into view. But my puny dumbphone wasn’t up to the task, really. So I settle for some shots from the bridge, looking north and south across the yard(s) at the snakes of railcars, shuttling locomotives and occasional milling personnel. I’m no rail aficionado, but I can see the allure of photographing a location like the yard. Cool stuff, though best suited to equipment that allows greater creativity and quality than a flip phone.

Anyway, I just kept going. The only breaks I took were for photos and can collection. I ended at my place of employment, The Register-Mail, where I could check my distance on MapMyRun and possibly edit some copy before actually beginning my shift later in the afternoon. I was surprised and excited to see the miles pile up, reaching 8 when all was said and done. My left knee was a little sore, but not as bad as it has been most days. The shoes are rockin’ it!

Today's Stats
Temp: 67 degrees F
Distance: 8 miles
Weekly Total: 20 miles
Treasure: 1 Scentsy sachet; 1 big-a** bolt; 1 penny; 25 cans.

Friday's 8-mile route. Double-click on image to enlarge.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Alive and Kicking – Simple Minda
For a Dancer – Jackson Browne
Thing Called Love – Bonnie Raitt
Kingdom of Days – Bruce Springsteen
Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias – The Beatles
Let Your Light Shine – Keb’ Mo’
Daria – Cake
Only the Good Die Young – Billy Joel
Heartbreak Warfare – John Mayer
Studebaker – Jordan Zevon
Kansas City/ Hey-Hey-Hey – The Beatles
The Distance – Cake
Somebody’s Baby – Jackson Browne
The Grand Illusion – Styx
Count on Me – Whitney Houston
I See Monsters (live) – Ryan Adams
Dancing in the Dark – Diana Krall
California (live) – James Taylor and Joni Mitchell
Hold On – Yes
In the Dark – Billy Squier
Misterioso – Wynton Marsalis
Wild,  Wild West – Escape Club

No comments:

Post a Comment