Friday, May 18, 2012

Chalking in her sleep

I had the good fortune of seeing art as it happened yesterday. I delayed my run until late Thursday afternoon, mostly because I had no time earlier in the day. And because of that I happened upon Sarah Mohr draped over the front walk to her home on North Broad Street, coloring away with sidewalk chalk.

I stopped and chatted a minute and snapped a couple of photos of her at work, not thinking to actually introduce myself. That’s a shortcoming of mine. But having discussed her chalk art via Facebook, I felt like we knew who each other was and it didn’t dawn on me to say, “Hi, I’m Rob.” Gotta work on that, I know.

Anyway, it was early in the process and I had no idea what she was creating. The lyrics were written out in a thin script, too faint in pink chalk for me to really read. I asked what it said and she read it to me: "Keepin' an eye on the world goin' by my window / And takin' my time."

‘I’m Only Sleeping’ is kind of my theme song right now,” she said.

We talked about other Beatles songs. I tried to recall the one from the “White Album” about sleep and couldn’t catch the title (“I’m So Tired,” I think it’s called – yeah, that’s it). Then I was on my way.

Later I realized I should interview Sarah to learn more about the Beatles Chalk Quotes. Here are her responses to my hastily jotted questions via FB message.

Sarah Mohr in the early stages of her chalk art.
1. How long have you been doing the chalk art?
A. chalk arting for about 6 years. But I'm not an artist. I'm more a crafter/doodler. (This is a pretty important distinction if you ask any of the real artists I know.)

2. Why The Beatles?
A. I'm not sure why the Beatles. It just sort of ended up that way and I stuck with it. I guess they just inspire me more than most. So...

3. Do you ever do lyrics by others?
A. Nope. Always Beatles. I've considered doing others but then I have such trouble deviating once I've found my niche.

4. How long does it take to do a piece, on average?
A. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to color one. Depending.

5. How often do you do new ones?
A. I usually do a new one whenever it comes to me. We call it the Beatles Quote of the Week, but it really only happens once or twice a month.

6. What inspires you? That is to say, how do you choose each one?
A. I like to listen to the Beatles when I'm working, "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" being my favorite albums. I usually hit the sidewalk when a lyric seems to make a bigger impression than usual or seems to fit the circumstances I find myself in at the time. Today I was looking out my window thinking of what song to choose when the most recent lyric ("Keepin an eye on the world going by my window") was sung. And once I'd heard it, it had to be that. Nothing else would do.

Sarah Mohr begins to color the curtains in the window.
7. What has been your favorite?
A. My favorite peice thus far has to have been "I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello." It was bright and just so ridiculously appropriate for the front stoop.

8. What do you do besides chalk art? Your vocation?

9. Do you have other artistic pursuits?
A. (8+9) Other than coloring on my sidewalk like a child, I'm half of the Leahy/Mohr jazz duo, along with doing vocals for/with several other local musicians. I write (mostly for myself on that last one), I act, serve on the board for the Prairie Players Civic Theatre. I also find myself participating in life on a daily basis. You know, the normal stuff.

10. Tell us something random.
A. Something random huh, ok... "Something random."

Thursday's Stats
Temp: 76 degrees F?
Distance: 3 miles
Weekly Total: 9.35 miles
Treasure: 1 business card.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Wide Boy – Nik Kershaw
For the Love of a Princess – James Horner (Braveheart)
Prove Your Love – Taylor Dayne
Haven’t We Been Here Before – Styx
Lonesome Day – Bruce Springsteen
Slipstream – Jethro Tull
Father, Son – Peter Gabriel
Starkville City Jail (live) – Johnny Cash
Tom Sawyer - Rush

No comments:

Post a Comment