Sunday, May 6, 2012

If you feel it, do it


Do you believe in karma? How about plain old good luck? One of those things kicked in two days ago.

You’ll recall that I left behind a hoodie the other night in hopes that the rightful owner might reclaim it, given its presentation on a large rock. In that tale of karmic harmony, I noted that my friend had lost her new iPod and I hoped someone might find it and that all would be right with the world.

Window blinds reflect in the screen of the
iPod Nano. It sort of works.
Well, lo and behold, as I was walking to my car (I know, it’s a sinful word) Thursday morning I was stopped by one of the neighbors in my building who said she’d found something she thought might belong to me. I assumed that is because she’s seen me head out to run in full regalia, including iPod in armband. Well, what she described was my friend’s iPod Nano. I was flabbergasted.

The wee Pod had been caught in the deluge Thursday, so its survival was questionable. Neighbor lady, from Apartment 1, had wiped it off, but done nothing else. I immediately initiated the rice treatment, though likely too late; it had been four days, corrosion undoubtedly begun. To my surprise, the little Nano powered up when I tried it a couple hours later. Power. Play. All good. Or so I thought. Alas, it was not so.

Connecting the Nano to my laptop proved fruitless. It would not show in iTunes or in My Computer. I tried a few solutions, but to no avail. Well, we shall see if there is a solution to this problem. Ultimately, my faith in humanity is emboldened.

OK, so that wraps that story. Now on to the great Half Marathon Entry Fee Giveaway, courtesy of Carmen Peterson. Cut to the chase: I did not win. There weren’t many contestants, and the odds were fairly even among us. So maybe my loss was a combination of karma (trade-off for the iPod?) and, well, another karma that was looking out for me. Like I could really do a half marathon next month?! Honestly, I am prepared to stick with the 6-mile run for a while. It’ll be good preparation for doing the 10K RR Days run and the BIx 7 in July, should I decide to go for that one again. Bix is a killer. Literally. It’s a harsh, hot run.

The night's storms downed this tree in Hawthorne Centre.
I was encouraged the other day, however, by my weight on the scale after that run: 197 lbs. Back to 201 today, but it’s a sign. Longer runs, more weight loss. The clothes I shrank into two summers ago will be comfy still. Gotta keep going. I was in the 185-190 lb. range then. It felt so good. Diet, of course, is part of it. Really, that’s the harder part.

Today's Stats (5/4/12)
Temp: 74 degrees F
Distance: 6 miles
Weekly Total: 12
Treasure: 5 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Oye Como Va – Santana
Lawyers, Guns and Money – Warren Zevon
I’m Not Moving – Phil Collins
Flying – Secret Machines (Across the Universe soundtrack)
One Room CountryShack – Buddy Guy
Oklahoma – The Call
Tell It to My Heart – Taylor Dayne
Splendid Isolation – Pete Yorn (cover)
Calliope House – The Waterboys
(There’ll Be) Peace in the Valley – Johnny Cash
Rock and Roll Music – The Beatles
Come Go With Me – Expose
Looking for the Next Best Thing – Warren Zevon
Don’t Let it End – Styx
Watching the Wheels – John Lennon
I Can Dream About You – Dan Hartman

No comments:

Post a Comment