Sunday, June 3, 2012

(Not Just) Another 5K Day

It was not like any race I’ve yet run. The inaugural Galesburg Half Marathon Express/Go Outside and Play 5K/1 mile Gator Run was one kick-ace event. Three races in one, it offered something for everyone into running. The proof is in the amazing turnout. I won’t go into facts and figures; this isn’t a news story (you can read one here). Suffice it to say there were more than 500 participants. I’m told unofficial figures have about an even split between 5K and half marathoners – at least as of the close of online registration last Thursday night.

Ellen says, "Go stand over there," so I do.
I take orders well. Then look goofy.
I arrived at the city parking lot at Kellogg and Simmons streets, across from the former Carriage House Furniture, just after 7 to register in person. First, let me say I thought the registration area was well laid out and organized. The lot offered plenty of room and convenient proximity to the start/finish line, as one would expect.

The race packet was wonderful: a nice water bottle from OSF St. Mary Medical Center (Cottage supplied some, too); a nice towel from Cottage Hospital Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine; a foot-shaped refrigerator magnet from Russell Carlson, DPM; a Thrushwood Farms beef stick; a bottle of Dave’s Gator Sauce; fliers for upcoming area races; and a business card for GalesburgSports.com, official photographer for the event (I think). All was gathered in a nifty maroon drawstring back-bag. Oh, and the sweet tech shirt, also in deep maroon with the cool Half Marathon Express logo, and a participation medal (which is really, really nice).

All those goodies were worth the price of registration. But it was all donated, or much of it; proceeds were earmarked for a local charity.

Arriving early to register, I was surprised so few people were milling about. That changed pretty quickly. I signed up and started a form for my running partner for the day, Ellen, who had yet to appear. Once she arrived and got her race packet, we meandered the lot looking for familiar faces. We found a few and chatted up old friends. But, truth be told, I’m antsy before a race. My legs were all bouncy and hoppy. I was really psyched and I couldn’t wait to get going. A friend from church, Jeanne, asked about my pace and I told her I typically do between a 9- and 10-minute mile. She decided to pace off me in hopes of showing up a co-worker or friend from the gym. Sorry I don’t remember the specifics; like I said, I was antsy and psyched.

Soon enough, though, it was 7:55. Runners clogged the street. There was a countdown: 5… 4… 3… 2… and … pregnant pause. Damn. The starter’s pistol didn’t fire. Then, BANG! And we were off. My one complaint: the starting chute narrowed too much, which made it hard to find my pace as soon as I would have liked. I always start at the back, knowing I’m not particularly speedy. Plus it feels good to pass people who are even slower. So I started criss-crossing through the pack when an opening presented, and within a couple of blocks I was up to speed. 

It was too early for a ponytail, but I did follow a couple here and there. One, a cute blonde in wild pink knee-high socks, bright orange shorts and a hydration belt (a runner’s belt with water bottles attached) was a good start. Ellen noticed her in the parking lot and commented that such runners kind of intimidate her with all their gear (like they're seasoned pros, ya know?). OK, I noticed her in the lot, too. And I feel that intimidation, too. So I was kind of excited (and a little bummed) when I passed her by fairly early. My guess is she was doing the half marathon and was pacing herself.

The half marathon would curse my ponytail methodology again. Near the turn-around at North and Arnold streets I had settled in behind a couple of motivators. But when the course split and the half marathoners (and the occasional distracted 5K runner) turned left, I found myself without my moving marks. But, by that point I was in good stride and I just kept going. What else was there to do?

So keep going I did. And somehow I maintained my strong pace. I tell people quite honestly that my only goal in a race is to finish and survive. I don’t mean that flippantly. And I don’t seriously think I’m facing death or the prospect of it each time. Now, that’s not to say I don’t want to do better than before or that I don’t hope to place. That’s always nice; I’ve done so twice and that was cool. But to achieve a personal best today, though not placing, was a pretty damned fine feeling. I was quite proud, actually. I never resorted to walking, which I’ve done on long weekly runs and did three times during the Bix last year. There’s absolutely no shame in doing that, but I don’t like to do it. I want to go, go, go. Get done. Relax.

And I have to tell you, I finished strong this time. I kicked it into high gear for the final block and it felt good. Milling about after the race and visiting with friends was great, too. And I even stepped in to fix a P.A. problem when the race announcer suddenly lost his audio power. He was checking connections around his table and I noticed it all ran to a power strip that then connected to a long yellow extension cord. I followed that over to the results table and saw a girl step on the connection between that cord and another. She wasn’t the first, but it was an indicator of what I suspected. That link had become loose. I jammed the two cords back together and the day was saved. Yes, my arm is strained from patting my own back. It helps distract from the knee pain.

After a little winding down at home, we were off to Budde’s for the post-race festivities, featuring Frank F. Sidney’s Western Bandit Volunteers and bacon bloody Marys. Yeah, you read that right: bloody Marys with BACON! Wowza! It was there that the day’s real treasure was found: two new friends, Rick and Stephanie Lindquist. Nice folks to meet and I think Rick may have persuaded me to sign up for the upcoming Oak Run triathlon in September. We shall see. 

The lighter works! But the lid won't stay shut.
Today’s Stats
Temp: 53 degrees F (one hour before race time)
Distance: 3.1 miles (5K)
Weekly Total: 9.2 Miles
Treasure: 1 Bic lighter in a cool silver and green metal case; 2 new friends.

Race Stats
Bib: 523
Net Time: 27:20 (personal best); Ellen logged a 31:something, also a personal best. Congrats!
Pace: 8:48
Div. Place: 9
Overall: 65
Race Weight: 196.8 lbs.

iPod Playlist (KGHS Mix – hits from my high school days)
Roll With the Changes – REO Speedwagon
Hold On Loosely - .38 Special
In the Dark – Billy Squier
Rock You Like a Hurricane – Scorpions
Rock of Ages – Def Leppard
In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins (Rather too mellow for a good running song, but it's in the mix and I don't rely too much on the tempo of the tunes for my pace.)

 Last week's runs I didn't blog:

May 31 Stats
Temp: 54 degrees F
Distance: 3.1 miles
Weekly Total: 6.1 miles
Treasure: Nada.

Goofy Old Navy hat I found last week while
biking. I also found an 8-inch Craftsman 200mm
adjustable wrench, a rain poncho and a small
fleece throw/blanket.


iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Watching the Wheels – John Lennon
Warehouse – Dave Matthews Band
Shoot to Thrill – AC/DC
The Red Strokes – Garth Brooks
Other Possibilities – Rachel Portman (“Chocolat” soundtrack)
Tin Man – The Avett Brothers

May 29 Stats
Temp: 60 degrees F
Distance: 3 miles Fremont Street from GHS to soccer fields on Carl Sandburg Drive, 8 laps on GHS track.
Treasure: Nada.

iPod Playlist (repeat)
I Don’t Wanna – The Call (Yeah, you read that right. I just played this song on repeat for three miles.)

2 comments:

  1. It was a great day for a race. Clear skies, cool temps, and a light breeze. Congrats on your personal best time as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And thank you. I should have noted your personal best, too. I'll have to amend the post.

      Delete