Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pumped-Up Kicks

Jack: What are your legs?
Archy: Springs. Steel springs.
Jack: What are they going to do?
Archy: Hurl me down the track.
Jack: How fast can you run?
Archy: As fast as a leopard.
Jack: How fast are you going to run?
Archy: As fast as a leopard!
Nick gathers information on my feet.
That exchange from the 1981 film “Gallipoli” kind of fits my feeling Wednesday morning. I chalk it up to new kicks. The legs are mine and they did most of the work. But my new Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s have some design features that purportedly propel you, providing a little extra “kick” as it were. While not air-filled in the heel cushion, they are indeed “pumped-up kicks.”

It was time for new shoes. A week ago or so I bought a Heartland Daily Deal voucher ($50 for $25) from Go Outside and Play Running Co. on South Seminary Street to save a little. Running shoes aren’t cheap. And I’ve finally learned that sometimes you need to pay attention to what feels good and right on your feet and not focus on price and appearance. I must say, though, the Inspires are inspiring to look at: charcoal grey and yellow (the company says pewter/anthracite/cyber yellow). Saweet! They were also still pricey, even with the discount voucher.

I went through the fitting process with store owner Nick Pigg and new full-timer Matt Davis to come up with some options to try that were best suited to my flat feet. I took off my shoes and stood on the pressure mat, which is connected to a computer and video monitor. A colorful image of my feet appeared and Nick explained that the red areas indicated the points of greatest pressure. He explained the physiology of my flat feet and how the low arches would tend to make my feet “roll” as I run. He’s right. Interestingly, that roll was something I once worked on for marching band. Now it seems to be a bad thing, or at least something to be countered or corrected by a shoe with specific attributes of support and flexibility in just the right spots.

Matt Davis laces up the Mizunos.
After taking measurements of each foot with the classic metal foot plate, Nick went to the storeroom and returned with three models for me to try: the current incarnation of the Saucony Guide 3s I’ve been wearing, a loose-fitting something I can’t even recall, and the Mizunos. I like the Sauconys. They would have been an easy choice; I’ve been in them for a year or so and have had no complaints. The unnamed second pair had a lot of heel slippage. On Nick’s suggestion, Matt laced the heel lock to add some hold, but it didn’t make a difference. Time to try the Mizunos.

Nick explained the company history. Long a maker of sporting equipment and shoes specifically for baseball and soccer, the company suddenly introduced a running shoe in the mid-1990s. They’ve grown in the running market since then and have a small but loyal following. As Nick put it, folks who like the feel of the Mizunos become devotees, unwilling to switch brands after their discovery.

I was hooked instantly. The shoes formed to my feet, held snugly but not tightly, added a spring to my step and just plain felt awesome. I walked the floor of the store a bit, then got on the treadmill. I’m not a treadmill runner. I’m always worried I’ll end up on my face. But the exercise provided confirmation of my choice.

“These are the ones,” I said. “I’ll take ‘em.”

Nick continued to make the sale, showing me the flexibility of the front end of the shoe, explaining the wave cushion, noting the spring-like blue inserts in the sole at the ball-bend (my term) that actually do propel the shoe (he demonstrated it by pressing the shoe into the floor and letting it spring up).

Maybe there’s some psychology involved in how these shoes boosted my run yesterday. So what? I took off about 9 a.m., as usual not knowing exactly where I was headed but determined to see just how far I could go this time. Back home about an hour later, MapMyRun.com indicated my meandering route racked up seven miles. Bix it is. I will do it again this year. Thanks, Nick, Tracy and Matt. Thanks, Mizuno.


Today's Stats
Temp: 64 degrees F
Distance: 7 miles
Weekly Total: 12 miles
Treasure: 1 Galesburg High School student ID; 1 spent disposable lighter; 14 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Walk This Way – Aerosmith
Have Mercy – Richard Marx
Exhale (Shoop Shoop) – Whitney Houston
Songbird – Kenny G
For Pete’s Sake – The Monkees
Nightlife – Willie Nelson
On Any Other Day – The Police
The Wind – Billy Bob Thornton (Zevon cover)
Concerning Hobbits – Howard Shore (LOTR soundtrack)
O’Sullivan’s March – The Chieftans
We Will Not Be Lovers – The Waterboys
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago – The Yardbirds
Yer Blues – The Beatles
Easy Lover – Phil Collins
Life Uncommon – Jewel
It Could Happen To You – The Miles Davis Quintet
My Ride’s Here – Bruce Springsteen (Zevon cover)
Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead – Warren Zevon

No comments:

Post a Comment