Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hail the Conquering Hero

Much as with Saturday’s lifeless beginning, I have no focal point for Monday’s effort. There’s a theme in my head, but it’s one best left unwritten just now. OK, you win. The theme would be love. That’s dangerous territory, boys and girls. I’ll tread lightly, which is no easy task in worn-out shoes. I’ll be shopping at Go Outside and Play this morning for new ones.

At times I feel like I'm writing a blog about nothing.
Bear with me as I randomly address the subject based on the confluence of events yesterday. Musically speaking, I was struck by several songs Monday:

“Mr. Pitiful,” in which the singer laments lost love: “They call me Mr. Pitiful, cuz I lost someone just like you.”

“No One Like You,” by the David Crowder Band, a Christian rock group. I like how songs of praise can be interpreted to apply to romantic love and adoration for that someone special in one’s life. Conversely, I have used secular love songs in church to express love for God.

“Love You To”: Love me while you can / Before I'm a dead old man. / A lifetime is so short / A new one can't be bought / But what you've got means such a lot to me.

“You’re Gonna Make Me Cry,” because that’s the blues, baby. Luther warns: Love will bring you happiness / And love will bring you sorrow. / Love can be here today, yeah / If you don’t watch out it’ll be gone tomorrow.

You get the point, right? Love is crazy. It does things to your mind, your soul. Controls your actions. Fills life with distractions. Blots out the unwanted. Brings out the animal.

Now, combine that with the endorphin rush of the runner’s high. See where this is going? A good, invigorating run on a temperate spring morn magnifies all those feelings until you want to shout it from the rooftops. And the energy released from the depths of your being is like something from a superhero story: all powerful, nearly uncontrollable. Hence the conquering hero.

Coincidentally and confirmationally (yes, I just made up that word), the lone treasure found Monday was a small, metal jewelry box. The lid was detached and the main body dented, but it will clean up to make a nice little piece for some table. The legs of the bottom are formed from the curled trunks of tiny elephant heads. Confirmation of the theme was on the lid: lovers. A man and a woman in what appears to be colonial-era garb. She’s reading a book (well, the book is splayed open, she looks fawningly toward her man) and he is brushing her hair. How sweet.

That’s love.
.
Today's Stats
Temp: 64 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Treasure: 1 small jewelry box, lovers on the lid, elephant heads and trunks for the feet.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Mr. Pitiful - The Commitments
Castle Attack - Robert Kral ("Angel" TV soundtrack)
No One Like You - David Crowder Band
Broken (New Version) - Lifehouse
I'm Every Woman - Whitney Houston
Rock of Ages - Def Leppard
Dirty Life & Times - Warren Zevon
Love You To - The Beatles
Come Sail Away - Styx
Bennie and the Jets - Elton John
Track 05 - I have no idea what this instrumental is from, though it sounds like a movie score.
  
You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet

They say you never forget your first girl. I don't think you
really forget any of them.
Not sure where I’m taking this one, but the title comes from the lyrics to “Best is Yet to Come,” which was playing as I neared the end of East North Street and headed up the ramp to the Farnham Street bridge to continue north Saturday morning.

Two days removed, I have no more idea what I was contemplating Saturday morning than I know what a cat staring at a wall is thinking. I could posit a few notions, but it would all be conjecture and supposition. What I do know is that the love theme had its genesis Saturday morning with “Best is Yet to Come.” Check out the lyrics:

Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plum
You came along and everything starting to hum
Still it's a real good bet, the best is yet to come
The best is yet to come, and babe, won't that be fine
You think you've seen the sun, but you ain't seen it shine
Wait till the warm-up's underway
Wait till our lips have met
Wait till you see that sunshine day
You ain't seen nothin' yet
The best is yet to come, and babe, won't it be fine
The best is yet to come, come the day you're mine
Come the day you're mine
I'm gonna teach you to fly
We've only tasted the wine
We're gonna drain that cup dry
Wait till your charms are right, for these arms to surround
You think you've flown before, but baby you ain't left the ground
Wait till you're locked in my embrace
Wait till I draw you near
Wait till you see that sunshine place
ain't nothin' like it here
The best is yet to come, and babe won't it be fine
The best is yet to come, come the day you're mine
Come the day you're mine
And you're gonna be mine
[From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/f/frank-sinatra-lyrics/the-best-is-yet-to-come-lyrics.html]
  
That’s good stuff. Ol’ Blue Eyes had the knack.

Today's Stats (Saturday, May 19)
Temp: 82 degrees F
Distance: 5.25 miles
Weekly Total: 14.6 miles
Treasure: 1 shiny penny; 1 wheel balancing weight; 24 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
By My Side  JJ Grey & Mofro
Mohammed’s Radio – Warren Zevon
Narrow Daylight – Diana Krall
Best is Yet to Come – USAF Band of Mid-America
The Grey Havens – Howard Shore (LOTR soundtrack)
Tumbling Dice (live 1972) – The Rolling Stones
Worried – Michael Been
Walk Between the Raindrops – James McMurtry
The Ballad of Billy the Kid – Billy Joel
Pictures of Lily – The Who
Love On The Air – David Gilmour
Shine (Re-Mix) – Newsboys
Tin Man – The Avett Brothers
So Emotional – Whitney Houston
Mr. Roboto – Styx
Poor Poor Pitiful Me (live) – Warren Zevon

1 comment:

  1. I do that all the time....use christian songs for earthly love, adoration, feelings, etc. and secular songs for praise & worship. It's whatever pops into my head at the time.

    Can you show me the elephant head/trunk part of the box? I love elephants! It sounds neat!

    ReplyDelete