Thursday, May 3, 2012

Blinded by the Light

“Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.”

My route to Walmart took me past Watson Funeral Home.
That’s right, another night run. It wasn’t planned, but sometimes you have to take it when you can get it. I’m not sure where this is going tonight. It’s late – again, unplanned. Watching “Pulp Fiction” for the first time in years because I need entertainment to unwind at the end of the day. Uma Thurman is telling her story about “Fox Force Five.” Oh, don’t know it? Rent the freakin’ movie, folks. Catch up with the times. It’s like 15 years old and you should be ashamed if you’ve never seen it.

So the point of this exercise is to write about what I find, right? But nighttime runs tend to come up short on the treasure. I picked up a blue dish towel that was pretty grubby, but I figured a washing will make it suitable for shop use (for bike work). The smattering of cans was typical, the Bic lighter empty as usual. I may have left the real prize behind.

Spread on a large volcanic rock by 4L Plaza on North Broad Street was a zippered hoodie of some sort with a colorful print pattern on it. I could have taken it, but it seemed it may have been left there for its rightful owner. A friend just lost her new iPod Nano and I’m a little sensitive to the sense of loss right now. Maybe the rightful owner of that hoodie lost it in some totally random and legitimate way, just as the iPod was lost. Price disparities notwithstanding, the owners are entitled to a little honesty by the unknown finders, right? You’d want your lost goods returned, wouldn’t you? 

Not entirely sure where that came from or where it was going, but I left the hoodie in hopes that somebody who can use it will pick it up, wash it and wear it. Maybe whoever found that iPod needs it more. I hope so. It really is crummy luck.

Well, that’s not much of a story or a blog entry, but it’s all I have tonight. Take or leave it. Maybe you’ll find some pleasure in the music below. Bottom line is, yeah, I was revved up. I did nearly 6 miles (the break was unnecessary but welcome). The resulting runner’s high was great. I always love that!

Today's Stats
Temp: 76 degrees F
Distance: 5.9 miles (Last .9 came after a short visit with a friend.)
Treasure: 1 dirty blue towel; 1 empty Bic lighter (black); 9 cans.

Stopping by a friend's for a visit before
finishing the run. This was the 5-mile mark.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Mystify – INXS
Green Earrings – Steely Dan
Sometime in the Morning – The Monkees
The Scientist – Coldplay
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window – The Beatles (Anthology)
Turn That Heartbeat Over Again – Steely Dan
Can’t Go Home Anymore My Love – The Factotums
Luther Played Guitar – Stan Ridgway
Running to Stand Still – U2
It Don’t Make Sense (You Can’t Make Peace) – Styx
Part of Your Own – John Gorka
Lately – Greg Brown
Rip This Joint (Live) – The Rolling Stones
All My Loving – Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe soundtrack)

1 comment:

  1. hanging my head in shame....have never seen the movie. 6 miles? Good job! That's close to half of a half marathon. You could do it (if you win) : )

    ReplyDelete