Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Inspiration of Imperfection

Just a couple of dandy lions.
We’re often implored in church to strive to be Christ-like. Try to be like Jesus, who was perfect.

I’m afraid I find little inspiration in unachievable goals. That doesn’t mean I don’t admire Christ in his perfection, but he doesn’t exactly inspire me to better myself. And that’s not to say I don’t work at that. Perhaps not enough, but I do make an effort. Oh, and yes, I understand that nobody really expects us to achieve perfection, but I think I've made my point.

I learned last week that I, in my imperfection, inspired another runner in the Bishop Hill Swedish Stomp 5K a couple weeks ago. Holly A., who would have finished ahead of me or tied me had she not stopped to help an ailing runner, said she was committed to finishing on pace with me.

“I thought, if Rob can finish, wheezing like he is, I can finish with him,” she said. (Or words to that effect; my memory ain’t what it used to be.) Well, Holly, I’ll take that and run with it, though I prefer to think of my labored breathing as chugging or even huffing and puffing. Wheezing is the sound of an old man dying of emphysema. Not quite there yet.

The tape says "open trench." Looks like a
hole to me, rather than a trench.
Likewise, I find a certain inspiration — though mostly great frustration — in the poor grammar that abounds in our world. All those misplaced apostrophes, abused commas, randomly applied capital letters and other affronts to good English usage, are an affirmation of one thing at which I happen to be pretty good (though I am far from perfect even in that realm). And they inspire me to get better at my craft – the art of editing.

While we’re on the subject of inspiration … I went in search of some this morning as I neared the end of my long run. I was struggling and found myself walking for short spurts four or five times. I needed a boost in the last leg.

I’ve posted photos a couple of times before of colorful sidewalk chalk art quoting Beatles lyrics. They’re beautiful, uplifting creations. I discovered a while back they are the work of a lovely young lass I know only through Facebook and her occasional appearance with guitar and mic at Seminary Street Pub. Alas, either I forget where she lives or she simply hasn’t had the chalk out since the last rain. (She's since confirmed that the chalk has lain idle for a bit, but hinted at a new dose of lyrical sunshine later this week.) For that art I cry, "Mohr, Mohr, Mohr."

Again, this sign says "road closed at
tracks," but methinks it's actually
the sidewalk that is closed.
Today's Stats
Temp: 75 degrees F
Distance: 6.35 miles (walked about 3/4 mile total over four or five slow-downs)
Treasure: 13 cans; 1 orange ponytail holder.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Ashes to the Wind – Rachel Portman
Say You Love Me – Fleetwood Mac
Absolute – The Fray
Catch My Disease – Ben Lee
White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane
Mockingbird – Ryan Adams
I Believe in You and Me – Whitney Houston
Be Still – Story Side B
Keep Me In Your Heart (Strings only) – Van Dyke Parks
Lawyers, Guns & Money – The Wallflowers (cover)
I’m Game – Christophe Beck
The Girl I Knew Somewhere – The Monkees
Until the End of The World – U2
The Great River – Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings soundtrack)
Rock You Like a Hurricane – Scorpions
Keep Me in Your Heart – Jorge Calderon and Jennifer Warnes (cover)
Words – The Monkees
Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me – Warren Zevon
Wine Snacks (Studio banter) – Ryan Adams
Venus - Bananarama

It's a two-fer Tuesday
From May 9 (Because I just never got around to it last week)

A Modest Proposal

I woke this morning to the sounds of a heart breaking and rising with hope in the same moment.

I've an idea for a new reality TV show. An actress, a former child star let's say, who's been through the ups and downs of Hollywood relationships decides she wants to find a simpler life, one she's never really experienced given her early beginnings in the actor's craft. She heads to the heartland to find inner peace and maybe a crazy little thing called love.

Since it's my idea, I think I should be cast in the role of small-town guide to the show's star. And I think I should be entitled to cast the star, too. How about Melissa Gilbert. She's now free of her "Dancing With the Stars" commitment and hopefully can distance herself from that pawing prancer Maks.

Melissa Gilbert, I've had a crush on you since we were kids. We went to school together, played hooky together, learned life lessons together. You were called "Half Pint," I was called "Half a Buck." That's a pretty solid connection, I think.

Even if you don't want to do the reality show (I really don't either, I just needed a contrivance to attract your attention), you should come to my little town on the prairie. It's called Galesburg and it's in Illinois (don't go to one of those other Galesburgs, like Michigan or Iowa). You just might find happiness. As a catchy bumper sticker here states: "One day in Galesburg will sweep you off your feet!" I promise.
 

Temp: 50 degrees F
Distance: 4.5 Miles
Weekly Total: 10.5 miles
Treasure: 1 CD; 1 penny; 14 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Against the Grain – Garth Brooks
Hey Jude – The Beatles (Anthology 3 version)
I Forgot to Remember to Forget – John Prine and Mac Wiseman
The Lazarus Heart – Sting
Just Like a Pill – Pink
What’s on Your Mind (Pure Energy) – Information Society
Levelland – James McMurtry
In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins
The Long and Winding Road – The Beatles (From Let it Be …Naked)
Why Can’t This Be Love – Van Halen
Close to the Borderline – Billy Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment