Saturday, April 28, 2012

I Can’t Drive 55

My medal and the blue hair band I
found during the race.
How fast was I in the Bishop Hill Swedish Stomp 5K today? So fast that I nearly won a speeding ticket to go with my first-place gold medal. 

Yeah, you read that correctly: I placed first in my age division, Men’s 45-49 I think; and I wasn’t the only one in my division this time. It was a small field overall and the weather may have played a role in keeping runners away today – it was chilly! And that wind was a bite. I had to chuckle afterward at the notion we’d have a tailwind coming up that final hill into town toward the finish – as promised by the event emcee. The tailwind, such as it was, came into play only on the final northerly downhill of the race. It was nice, but it didn’t help much.

Still, it was a nice run, even if I misrepresented it to my friend Ellen, who decided to run it, too. The description mentions only the streets of historic Bishop Hill. I assumed – incorrectly – that the route would wend through town, criss-crossing the handful of streets until nearly every one had been trod and 3.1 miles was finally racked up.

Um, not so. The route, starting from the old Colony School, first heads east, then circles Bishop Hill Park before heading out into the countryside. Still a lovely run it is, but I wasn’t banking on those hills, slight though the grades may be. Neither was Ellen expecting it. “I thought you said it was flat,” she accused.

So sue me.

Ellen was further disgruntled with her showing (I won’t reveal her time, as she was not happy), despite placing first in the Women’s 45-49 division against more competition than I faced.

“That little wiener dog passed me!” she cried afterward. “I got beat by a wiener dog.”

Her disappointment is understandable. Wiener dogs have shooort legs. Even Ellen has longer legs than a dachshund. Still, the wiener dog has four of ’em and nobody carried Ellen for any part of the race.

The Galesburg Stompers: Rob, Heather, Ellen, Holly.
We were joined by several other Galesburg folks we knew. All did well. Heather H. placed second in her division behind friend Holly A. We got a nice group shot after, taken by my No. 3 daughter (tied for No. 1 in my heart, of course). Several of her friends were in attendance, though they ran and D3 couldn’t be cajoled into it. She did her stint in track and cross country and did well, but she favors other athletic pursuits now. She’s a heck of a cheerleader, too!

For my accounting, I finished in 30:25. Not my fastest time, nor my slowest. Among the factors pro and con: Anne G., who is an acquaintance and friend of a friend, served unwittingly as my pacer. I told her afterward, “Anne, you were my ponytail.” She might have blushed; or maybe it was wind-rash. Anne pulled away in the last mile, though, and I found myself running neck and neck with one of D3’s friends. She was kickin’ it pretty good, but we were both getting worn.

When she stopped, I stopped to offer support and assistance, but she waved me off: “Keep going,” she demanded. So I did. Holly would have nothing of it and stopped to lend aid until other help arrived. And she still finished first. Way to go, Holly!

The Swedish Stomp is a pretty fun race. Good company, beautiful scenery, historic community, spiffy T-shirt, yummy treats after the run (including pickled herring and knackebrod!). It all adds up to a great experience.

However, I need to learn to ramp it down after the race. I’ve touted the joys of the runner’s high before, and it really is a great feeling. But ya gotta keep it under control. Driving back to the Burg along U.S. 34 I developed a bit of a lead foot. I saw the white cruiser gaining on me in the rearview mirror and knew immediately who it was – low-profile light bar or no. I slowed. By the time he was on my tail, I was doing 53. No use. He was gaining rapidly and I teased myself briefly that he was going to pass and catch a real criminal. Alas, the lights activated and I found myself on the shoulder, window down, waiting for Trooper Friendly to ask for my credentials. 

Tried to capture the 64 but it was getting dangerous.
He was indeed friendly and let me off with just a warning. “You were going way too fast,” noted. “Slow it down.” Yeah, I suppose 64 in a 55 is a bit over. Lucky for me he didn't see me five minutes earlier.

But to add insult to the non-injury (my wallet sincerely thanks you, Trooper Friendly) he instructed me to roll up my window a tad. Producing a groovy black plastic box with a slot in one end and a digital readout, he proceeded to measure the tint of my window. It has to come off, he told me. Apparently it needs to read 35 and mine were 33. Mumbo jumbo, but yessir. 

He did ask about the race, after the rigmarole, not as a smart-alec introduction to a speeding ticket. But it was indeed the classic wording (if in past tense): “Where was the race?”

Today's Stats
Temp: 55 degrees F
Distance: 3.1 miles
Weekly Total: 8.6 miles
Treasure: 1 blue hair band.

Race Weight: 203 lbs.
Post-race weight: 200 lbs.
Time: 30:25
Place: 1st in Men’s 45-49 years old

iPod Playlist (Running playlist)
Broken – Lifehouse
Catch My Disease – Ben Lee (This is my favorite running song; not the fastest pace but it just makes me happy and want to run – and clap and sing along, too.)
Distance – Ryan McCullough
Heartbreak Warfare – John Mayer
I Will Follow You Into the Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
I Will Possess Your Heart – Death Cab for Cutie
Just Like a Pill - Pink

1 comment:

  1. 64 in a 55.....sounds perfectly normal to me. But then again, I'm not the law. Good job today! I've never done that race, sounds like a nice little one. Maybe someday I'll get over there. Way to medal my friend : )

    ReplyDelete