Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Love Affair Ended

Man down!
My culinary lust for the tangy, slathery goodness of the much maligned McRib sandwich is well documented. Since its introduction in the '80s I have harbored hankerings for that pressed slab o' mystery meat drowned in barbecue sauce sprinkled with onions and topped with a couple of pickle slices. Even the bun is something special, shaped to fit the oblong form of the faux rib rack, dusted with corn meal and top split like it's fresh from the bakery.


Today the affair ran its course. The McRib is soured in my sight, sad to say. My body, I am sure, thanks me, even if my taste buds will lament this passing. It may have something to do with the expose about the wretched recipe behind this annual special sandwich offering. And the noticeable crunch of ... bone? ... halfway through today's lunch surely played a part in my change of heart. But there must be something more. After all, just about any processed meat product out there contains a multitude of parts and petrochemicals. And we've all crunched bone or bits of God-knows-what in fast food before. Could it be that my body chemistry finally said, "Enough!"?

Maxwell Street Jazz. I like it.
Now to find wall space.
Whatever the case, I am sure there are fans who will condemn and ostracize me for this herasy. But those would be fans of the sandwich, not the writer. My fans (does that sound a little conceited? Very well...)... My friends and readers will undoubtedly cheer my decision to part company with the dreaded conconction. Oh, I'm still an omnivore, but that means I'll eat meats and veggies, not "anything and everything."

Now, having confessed the menu of my lunch, I will tell you I did run 3 miles, though I'm sure that meal (even subtracting the final bite of McRib that I just couldn't stomach) replenished whatever calories I burned. Maybe another run is in order tomorrow. I did move back outdoors given the relatively nice weather. The wind was a bit brisk, but it was mostly comfortable otherwise.

That little move netted some change, a potentially useful bike part and another cleaning cloth. I also made a point to swing through my favorite watering hole to pick up the piece of art I bought a while back at an auction to benefit the local animal shelter.     

Today's Stats
Temp: 38 degrees F
Distance: 3.14 miles
Treasure: 1 jumbo rubber band; 1 tattered washcloth; 3 pennies (1 heads, 2 tails); 1 cellphone back cover (LG, blue); 1 clamp piece from a bicycle seat; 14 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Broken - Tears for Fears
You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything (Even Take the Dog for a Walk, Mend a Fuse, Fold Away the Ironing Board, Or Any Other Domestic Short Comings) - The Faces
A Kind of Magic - Queen
Hey Jude (Anthology version) - The Beatles
Thunder Road (live) - Bruce Springsteen
Kingdom of Days - Bruce Springsteen
I'm Not Moving - Phil Collins
So What - Miles Davis
Canary in a Coalmine - The Police

1 comment:

  1. I am very much a fan of you & your blog. And a friend as well : ) Annnnnd, I have NEVER had a McRib in my life. Ever.

    ReplyDelete