Monday, November 21, 2011

What were you thinking?

You get the idea.
Just what runs through your mind as you're lying there in the dental chair, looking up at two masked faces, gloved hands whirling around your mouth, a bright light shining in your eyes?

1. Don't ask me any questions, please. You know I can't talk right now.

2. Hey, Doc, do you hate patients with bad breath?

3. This isn't so bad.

4. God, my jaw is getting tired.

5. Gaaak, and my mouth is so dry.

6. If I'm Dudley Moore, where's Bo Derek?

7. I wish Jennifer Aniston were my dentist.

8. Hey, Doc, have you ever slipped with that drill and shredded somebody's tongue or carved a wicked gash in a cheek?

9. I'm gonna take a photo or two with my cellphone, I hope they turn out. Hard to shoot blind.

10. How am I supposed to survive the rest of the day without chewing?

Honestly, those are all things that ran through my head this morning. A trip to the dentist isn't so bad. My grandad was a dentist, so I got used to it early. I'm sure Mom will tell you I was a big baby for a while, but I'm all grown up now. Sure, I tense and have the usual difficulties breathing and swallowing and whatnot. And my jaw does get awfully sore gawked open like that for so long. And, being in a business where everybody sees our mistakes, thus being well aware of the fallibility of humans, I do worry a wee bit that my dentist will slip with the drill some day and disfigure my handsome mug. (Then again, maybe a visible scar where my cheek was slashed would be dashing.)

Anyway, there are worse ways to start a Monday. Work, for example.

Back from the chair relatively unscathed, I headed out to redirect any pain sense to my knees and shins. What did I think about as I ran? Oh, same as above.

 Today's Stats
Temp: 47 degrees F
Distance: 3.2 miles
Treasure: 3 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Sleepwalking - Lyle Lovett
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead - Warren Zevon
Where Has My Little Dog Gone - Discovery Toys (From the kids' collection)
KT177_3 - Wav file (You are ugly and stupid and you smell bad. Everyone thinks so.")
Have Mercy - Richard Marx (Cool video with some owies thrown in)
Poor Poor Pitiful Me (cover) - Jackson Browne
We Shall Be Free - Garth Brooks (Awesome video with my man John Elway!)
By My Side - JJ Grey & Mofro
Start the Apocalypse - Robert Kral ("Angel" TV series soundtrack)

No comments:

Post a Comment