Saturday, November 12, 2011

Happy Veterans Day (belated)

To all the veterans I know and those I don’t, thank you. I appreciate what you do and wish I had done it as well. I was on the verge. I dreamed of a Navy career when I was in high school and my parents prodded and persuaded me to go to college first. I’m glad I did. I loved college life. But I regret not serving in the military.

No pix from Friday's run, but this 9/11
memorial in Grand Island, Neb., seems
somewhat fitting for Veterans Day.
I had Cold War dreams back then. It may be juvenile, immature, idiotic, but I was lured by pop culture and other influences, from “Stripes” to “Taps” to “Wargames” to James Bond and more, to want to be a participant in the Cold War, be it through military service or as a secret agent. Oh, boyhood dreams. You can’t imagine the thrill I experienced making my way through the Spy Museum in Washington, D.C., about five years ago.

The threat of nuclear war seemed overblown and unreal to me. It was more a catalyst to unnecessary tensions, job security for the military and covert operatives. I know that’s a simplistic view, but I was a young man more concerned with how to defeat a demon overlord and rake in the treasure of whatever dungeon my comrades and I were adventuring through at the time.

Anyway, I’m a bit rushed for time so let me just say this. Not all military actions are a response to genuine threats to democracy in America. But military personnel sign up for a job that puts them at risk and under direction of a massive chain of command. Whether you agree with their given mission, they deserve our thanks for stepping up to the task.

Read it, live it!

Groovy bike rack in City Park,
Fort Collins, Colorado.
Today's Stats (actually 11/11/11)
Temp: 44 degrees F
Distance: 2.75 miles
Weekly Total: 5.5 miles
Treasure: 10 cans; 1 cigarette pack (Marlboro reds).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
I Want Your Sex (Part2) - George Michael
I'm Afraid of Americans - David Bowie
An Innocent Man - Billy Joel
Teardrops Will Fall - John Mellencamp
Phoenix Song - Harry & The Potters
Relax (New York Mix) - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Note: I like the opposing bookends that open and close this playlist. It was random but fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment