Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cool Runnings

Just trying to show the ice and snow.
Did I already use that title? What if I did? Sue me. No, wait. Forget I said that. Just deal with it. I had a better idea earlier but was sidetracked by a lunch invitation. I’ll link to the blog about that tomorrow when my buddy Jay gets around to posting. He’s a professional blogger of sorts, as in he does his blogs for TheRegister-Mail, his paying gig. Therefore he’s concerned about readership and when to post so his fans won’t miss out. (No, I don’t mean that in a bad way.) I, on the other hand, write for my own pleasure and count myself lucky that anybody reads and happens to enjoy. (No, I’m not being negative or self-deprecating, just sayin'.)

Reading a bit of Mil Millington’s “Love and Other Near-Death Experiences” this morning after my run (yes, I finally ran again), I happened upon this gem that accurately describes many bloggers, myself included:

Between radio producer Keith and radio program host Rob after Rob’s on-air confession to being just a little nutty.

Rob needs to smile.
Keith: “It seems that someone who was listening last night started talking about you on one of those Internet chat things. People began to visit our webpage to listen to the archive of the show. Word spread, it was picked up by sites that do listings of interesting links, and it got mentioned in some … um, what did Danny say they were called, Jenny?”

Jenny: “Blogs.”

Keith: “That’s it. They’re like online diaries or something – nerds talking to themselves in public. …”

So, yeah, there you have it. That pretty much sums up the purpose of my blog: me, a nerd, talking to myself in public.

Anyway, whatever clever angle I had this morning kinda disintegrated while my mind was focused on making a menu selection and commenting on how cute the waitress was and pondering whether I might be able to swipe a Monmouth College football helmet from its perch on a half-wall near the entrance to Petey’s in Monmouth. I decided against the theft. I didn’t see any mini-helmets in the college bookstore when we stopped in on our way home after lunch. Maybe D2’s boyfriend will get me one for Christmas (he’s a wideout for the Scots).

I did find a flattened ball.
I left it, because it was flat
and kinda gross lookin'.
All that leaves me rambling like some sort of inane boob. Sorry, it’s all I got. Consider that I found 11 cans and an agricultural seed brochure and maybe you’ll cut me some slack. Nothing really special there. I guess I’ll have to wait for the snow to fly for kids (and adults – yes, I mean you, Phil D.) start losing their gloves, hats, scarves and other garments (anyone missing a blue 36D Victoria’s Secret bra?). Yeah, I suspect the haul will improve in a few weeks. Keep reading.

I mean, keep reading now, not just following and waiting for the next post. Hah! In downloading photos from today’s run I was reminded of a little irritation I suffered earlier this week at the hands of Dairy Queen. My disappointment earlier this fall at discovering the DQ on Main Street in my happy Burg no longer carries butterscotch was assuaged last week when D1 told me the DQ on Henderson Street had the delicious treat topping. I decided to enjoy my favorite ice cream condiment when I took D3 there after her band concert. I like the DQ Peanut Buster Parfait with butterscotch in substitute for the hot fudge.

So imagine my chagrin when the squawkbox came back with, “Is it OK if we use our butterscotch dip?” Um, OK, I suppose, if that’s all you’ve got. 

No, butterscotch "dip" is not an acceptable
substitute for butterscotch topping. FAIL!
 Well, the taste test was, to quote darling Katy Perry, “an epic fail.” The “dip” is the Magic Shell-like butterscotch concoction they use on Dilly Bars. You can read all about that here. The point is, while butterscotch Dillys are the bomb, butterscotch dip in a parfait is a bomb. The thing was nearly impossible to eat. Each successive layer of BS was a solid mass that had to be chipped and pecked at with a flimsy plastic spoon in hopes of breaking free a piece to accompany a mouthful of soft serve. Alas, it’s just not the same. So come one, DQ, bring back butterscotch topping.

Today's Stats
Temp: 26 degrees F
Distance: 3.1 miles
Treasure: 1 2012 Channel Seed Guide; 11 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House - Garth Brooks
Wild, Wild West - The Escape Club
We Will Not Be Lovers - The Waterboys
Thunderbird - ZZ Top
Dancing in the Dark - Diana Krall
Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles
O'Sullivan's March - The Chieftans

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I think "nerd talking to herself in public" would describe me, as well. Although I would never steal an MC football helmet, and *I'm* a devoted alum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was a thief in a past life. If I steal anything MC-related I'll be sure to get one for you, too.

    ReplyDelete