Monday, November 14, 2011

Politics and Religion

Call it the netherworld of personal revelation. Politics and religion are the taboo subjects you just don't bring up in certain situations: okay, well, pretty much any situation outside of gatherings with longtime friends who will accept you no matter what. They're verboten verbiage in company, polite or otherwise. So why the f*** would I broach such subject matter here?

Well, first, I don't think any topic is so repulsive or dangerous that it can't be discussed rationally. Second, I like to fly in the face of convention sometimes. Third, I like to prove people's perceptions and preconceptions wrong. For example, when I tell you I voted Democrat in all but one of the primary elections I've ever cast a ballot in, you would take me for what my parents call a "yellow dog Democrat." But my liberal leanings are tempered with a strong belief in the Supreme Court's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. I also advocate capital punishment, though my reservations grow stronger.

Religion. Religion. "Oh, there's a fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning," to quote Jimmy Buffett. I attend church regularly and am active in my church. I understand the complaints leveled against "organized religion" -- which is redundant, by the way -- but I hate when people assume all churches share the same dogma and prejudice. I'd like to see those who preach tolerance practice it a little more fully.

When it comes to religion I guess I'm an optimist. The organized church may have plenty of faults, as do all individuals, but the individuals who make up the church body tend to be good souls with their hearts in the right place. At least in my experience. On the other hand, as far as politics goes, I'm an avowed cynic. With rare exception, even the most altruistic candidate tends to succumb to the lure of re-election at all costs. And few of them can really build the clout to fulfill their campaign promises.

Worse is the polarization of the political arena that's developed over the past three decades. No more is there room for compromise. To deal is to show weakness. All that matters now is who can build the largest herd to get his/ her way. Which brings us to the war between two ideas: The Tea Party vs. the Occupy movement.

Pre-Occupied

I came home the other day to find the Occupation front on my front stoop. There, in big, colorful letters of chalk on either concrete block flanking the stairs, were the words, "Occupy Galesburg" and "Occupy Everything." I've since learned the words were the work of a bright little guy of about 4 years. Little K- is a friend of mine and of one of my co-workers. His political statements were accompanied by a misplaced lament for a closed "candy store" and a hopscotch.

The thing is, though few would admit it, both movements -- the Tea Party and the Occupy X -- make some valid points. But because each has its core support in either political party, there's little or no discussion.

That's all, folks!

"That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump

The preceding ramble was a stand-in because today's run really sparked nothing else. Props to a new friend for sparking that little diatribe. 

Today's Stats
Temp: 51 degrees F
Distance: 3.25 miles
Treasure: 5 cans, 3 cigarette packs.

Fun name on the trash bin outside a house
on my morning run.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Distance - Ryan McCullough
Say You Love Me - Fleetwood Mac
Oklahoma - The Call
Ladies Man - Joni Mitchell
Lonesome Day - Bruce Springsteen
Bennie and the Jets - Elton John
Kiko and the Lavender Moon - Los Lobos
Flying (cover) - Secret Machines (From Across the Universe soundtrack)
Time for Me to Fly - REO Speedwagon

2 comments:

  1. 1. Love the dumpster name/pic.

    2. Also love and agree with the assessment about wishing more people would understand that not all churchies are brainwashed zealots.

    ReplyDelete