Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It sure felt longer

There are a few hills here.
That's what she said. Ha! Actually I was talking about my run, which did feel longer than 3.4 miles. I guess it's like starting over. I took so much time off that even 2.75 miles seemed like a full 5K. I've been increasing it incrementally, though not necessarily with any real forethought. I don't typically map my run until after the fact. I know the distance of a couple of old routes but one is out of the way and the other is 5.25 miles, which I'm not up to yet. Call me a wuss. You won't be the first, nor the last. 


Speaking of wussdom, I catch a little flak sometimes for my taste in entertainment, particularly my semi-affinity for musicals. I know, that's a terribly sexist remark, equating musicals with wussdom and therefore femininity. Trust me, I'm no chauvinist. I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who hate musicals and I know some guys who dig 'em. (This tangent was sparked more by the "Moulin Rouge" number in today's playlist than by the word "wuss," by the way.) But my $5 says a survey of 100 people (50 men, 50 women) at random would find more women who like musicals, in general, than men. 

"Do it on a booze cruise." Sounds nice, but why is it on the
pedestrian path of a bridge over the rail yards?
But hey, I'm cool with it. So it takes a leap to accept people bursting into song at any given moment. Spider-Man is believable? Get over it. And if it's a gender-driven thing, well, if I were any more in touch with my feminine side I'd be shagging myself. (I totally stole that line from a Mil Millington book, because I love it so damned much.)

Anyway, the important thing about musicals is the music, duh. I mean, the story matters, but it's told through song. Without song, it's just a boring old play/movie. OK, maybe not boring, but certainly not as interesting as when characters express themselves through song. That's not to say everything should be a musical. But take away the background music and see how scary some horror films are. How romantic is that love scene when all you hear is panting?

OK, so I liked the short-lived "Cop Rock." But you can trust me on these recommendations:

1. Across the Universe: The music of The Beatles, career-spanning, tells the story of the '60s. Amazing.

2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Awesome '70s rock with soaring guitar and lyrics certain to make you laugh.

3. Mamma Mia!: ABBA meets a Big Fat Greek Wedding.

4. 1776: The story of American independence told in song. Brilliant!

5. Singin' in the Rain: Pretty much the greatest musical EVER, featuring Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor.

Today's Stats
Temp: 36 degrees F
Distance: 3.4 miles
Weekly Total: 6.65 miles
Treasure: 1 leather work glove (right hand); 1 black hair band; 8 cans.

W.C. Handy Bridge? There's the glove
I found at lower left.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
That's How Strong My Love Is (live) - The Rolling Stones
Up & Down - Backyard Tire Fire
Mr. Roboto - Styx
Handle With Care (live) - Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Dhani Harrison (Concert for George)
In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Your Song - Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
Medley: Tales of a Jedi Knight/Learn About the Force - John Williams (Star Wars Episode IV)
On Any Other Day - The Police
I Wanna Be a Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry
Hymn 43 - Jethro Tull

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE musicals! I could ramble on forever about musicals. Although, yet again, I know I am so confined to my favorites. I've only seen one of your above mentioned.

    Your little picture up top about "hills" in town. I always think of that bridge as one of few, but I rarely run over on "that side" of town. I mentioned in my blog today about the lack of hills that we have here.

    ReplyDelete