Saturday, November 26, 2011

Round and Round

The weather was crap today. Could I have run outdoors? You bet. I have before, in far worse conditions: cold, rain, snow, heat, wind, you name it. So save the "wussy" comments for another day when I've really earned the label. Today it was more a matter of curiosity. Grey skies, rain and a fall chill seemed the perfect excuse to finally experience a run on the old track in my building. 

I've explained before that my apartment is in the converted YMCA of yesteryear. It last saw use in its original capacity in the late 1970s or very early '80s (maybe I'll present that history lesson another time). Well, the track, with its banked curves at each end, resembling a mini-velodrome, is still useable. No longer wood surfaced, it has a hideous hodgepodge covering of old sculpted pattern carpets in orange and green, most of the sections badly worn. But it suffices.

I estimate the little track to be maybe one-quarter to one-third the length of the current YMCA track. I didn't count my laps, but it sure gets boring running in short ovals. It is pretty easy to find a rhythm, though, and lose your mind (in an "in the zone" sense) and just go. I relied on a nifty little pedometer my girls gave me a year ago for Father's Day. Sorry, girls, it took this long to try it out -- frankly, I was a little intimidated by the instructions. By its count I did almost two and a half miles. I didn't adjust the stride input, opting for the default 30 inches. I'll have to check that out. Based on time I think I may have done closer to three miles.

Whatever. I worked up a sweat, got my heart rate up, pumped some endorphins through my cranial blob and listened to some good music. I particularly enjoyed Johnny Cash's Starkville City Jail from "The Complete Live at San Quentin." The Man in Black tells a humorous story to entertain the cons as he introduces the number and the song itself is pretty funny. Give it a listen.

Today's Stats
Temp: ? degrees F (Indoors)
Distance: 2.43 miles? 5,147 steps, 292.6 calories
Weekly Total: 8.88 miles
Treasure: Nada.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Sister Golden Hair - America
Walk Between the Raindrops - James McMurtry
Like No Other Night - .38 Special
Starkville City Jail (live) - Johnny Cash
Slipstream - Jethro Tull
Big Yello Taxi (Double Espresso NRG Mix) - Joni Mitchell
Oh Girl - Paul Young
All My Loving - Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe soundtrack)
Love You To - The Beatles
I've Had Enough - Lyle Lovett

1 comment:

  1. 1. My sister used to live in that building.
    2. Half the people I know from Gburg have lived in that building in one time or another. I think there should be a sitcom based on life in this rather fascinating building.
    2. Adding to the fascination about this building is the fact that there is a disgusting hodgepodge of carpet on that secret indoor track. That. is. Awesome. Thank you for sharing that detail.

    ReplyDelete