Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Y William Penn?

Unmentionables! A bra stuffed under the windshield wipers
of a car on Bateman Street, just south of Fremont Street.
As a newsman by occupation I can tell you it is frustrating to have a story angle shot down by the facts. We've all seen the results of ignoring pesky realities: the story that is blatantly false or at the least so spun that the words swirl on the page before you.
Such was my luck today (yesterday by the time you read this). You see, I drove out to Farm King today in my search for the elusive axle nut. To my surprise I found the size I was looking for -- 10mm with 1.00 thread pitch. So I was going to lead with the catchy ol' Farm King jingle: "Farm King has everything for everyone." Lovely.

It would have been so freaking perfect. And a nice plug for Farm King, which really does have a lot of cool stuff, if their prices are a little high. So imagine my pissed-offedness when I got home and tried it on the axle. No fit. And I had to pop $5 for a whole box of 'em because they weren't in the single-piece bins.

But who care about that stuff? That was a car trip. Wait'll you hear about the run. I know, you're waiting -- impatiently no doubt. OK, so here it is. The moment you've all been waiting for ... the big reveal.

Today's route was inspired by another car find (sorry). Nearing my driveway, I spotted a YMCA membership key-card attached to a lanyard at the foot of a neighboring drive (auxiliary drive, not leading to the garage). Two keys were attached to the smashed key ring, a Chevy car key and a room/house key. Now, I could have asked the neighbors if they recognized the William Penn University lanyard, but I thought the surest ID would come from the YMCA, where staff could scan the bar code on the key card. So that's where I headed on my run at 4 p.m.

Bitch of it was, weather on my iPod said it was 37 degrees. which I figured was temperate enough to go with a short-sleeve base and a long-sleeve run shirt with nothing heavier on top. I did add gloves. But I was running into a headwind all the way out in a cold mist. After sticking my hands into a few puddles to extract cans, my fingers were frozen! Those red extremities were on that borderline between numbness and pain. 

Click on image for a larger version of the haul. We have a
Toyota hubcap, 5 socks, a Polaroid, a used Applebee's gift
card, a Mercury hubcap, a pair of gloves, a leather glove, ice
scraper and more.

So, I rested and warmed for a few minutes at the Y before heading back. I wrung out my gloves and kept my hands in tight fists most of the return trip to keep my fingers warmer. Picked up only a few more cans on the way back -- trying to protect my precious fingers -- plus the Toyota hubcap I noticed on the way out.

Oh, the Y card and Chevy key? ID'd as Andrew Fields. Good luck, Andrew.

Today's Stats
Temp: 37 degrees F
Distance: 5.5 miles
Treasure: 1 plastic Toyota hubcap; 4 white ankle socks; 1 knee-high black Air Jordan sock; 1 9 playing card from Hands Down; Applebee's gift card $25 (just checked, $0 balance -- damn!); 1 blue click pen, "In the mall 344-0124, On the square 734-2149 (that's a Galesburg number for Sandburg Mall and a Monmouth number -- I'll have to check the City Directory at work because the stupid pen bore no business name); 1 pair black cotton gloves (found separately, one on the way out, one on the way back); 1 Polaroid photo (woman and child on couch with an enormous black dog in the foreground); 65 cans.

Bonus Round (From Sunday biking to work and home)
Plush blue fish squeak toy; 1 ice scraper (blue handle); 1 Mercury hubcap; 1 leather glove; several cans (as yet uncounted).

Beth sends a multimedia message via phone on her walk to
work Monday morning: "It pays to walk." I love this pic.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Ghost Train - Counting Crows
For a Dancer - Jackson Browne
College Days - The Great Divide
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX) - Pink Floyd
Be Still My Beating Heart - Sting
The Night Before - The Beatles
Oh Girl - Paul Young
How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
3x5 - John Mayer
Fisherman's Blues - The Waterboys
It's Still Rock 'n Roll To Me - Billy Joel
Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
Bitch - Meredith Brooks
83 - John Mayer
City Love (Live) - John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment