Sunday, February 13, 2011

I once was lost...

Three articles of clothing frozen in a drift.
"...But now am found."

I imagine that might be the sentiment of some of the items I've found over the past four months, if inanimate objects could speak or think. Or maybe they'd say, "Put me down! Give me back! Leave me alone!" After all, isn't that how some of us react in the face of "Amazing Grace"?

I leave that for you to ponder. This isn't a theological blog. I guess I went down that road because today's finds were picked up while riding to and from church. Though I have a confession to make, while we're talking about religion, however briefly or disconnectedly. The best items today were spotted yesterday (from the driver's seat of my car -- sorry) and I couldn't help but return for them. No, I do not purposely scout out treasures nor do I plant items for myself to "find" later. Heck (like how I didn't say "hell" since I'm taking a religious tone), I would have written about this stuff had I picked it up while driving, too; but honestly, I was too sheepish to grab the frozen goods from the snow drift yesterday in the light of day with eyes watching. Nobody was looking at 7:50 Sunday morning.

What, you are asking, could be so alluring as to command a return for pickup that meant riding several blocks out of my way while headed for church on a Sunday morning? Well, nothing less that two fine T-shirts and a pair of plaid boxer shorts. Of course, I didn't know how fine these items were yesterday, or even this morning when I pried the frozen cloth from the snow. But it turns out they're pretty nice: a Hollister T-shirt, an Aeropostale T-shirt (apparently brand new because it was still bearing its sale tag of $18.99 -- perhaps it was stolen) and a pair of Hanes boxers. All are size small. 


 Also notable, though less exciting, is the camouflage finger mitten found in the Cottage Medical Plaza parking lot. Oh, and I have to trumpet a find from Friday and Saturday. Biking home from work Friday I came across a blue glove, sort of a fleece material. I scanned the area for a mate but didn't spy it. Driving home from errands Saturday, I spot something in the roadway in the vicinity of the previous glove discover. Pulling into the lot at Kellogg and Losey, I put the car in neutral, engage the parking brake and dash into the street (after looking both ways!) and snatch up ... you guessed it ... the mate to the blue glove!

Everything is in the wash now; well, actually the wash is done and they're in the dryer. Already washed up the butter knife, toy keys (one that says "Parents" on it) and the tiny, fully articulated girl doll. I think she might like the McDonald's superhero guy I found long ago. I'll see if they hit it off. 

 
The wash is done and the clothes are clean. I even persuaded someone to model the shirts. Sorry, nobody's gonna don the boxers and I wouldn't ask that of anyone.The gloves look nice, too,

Today's Stats
Temp: 32 degrees F
Distance: 2.9 miles (by bike)
Treasure: 19 cans; 1 aluminum baking pan; 1 butter knife; 1 camouflage mitten/glove; 2 toy keys; 2 T-shirts, size small; 1 pr. plaid boxers, size small; 1 tiny girl doll, fully articulated.


 iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Prove Your Love - Taylor Dayne
A New Machine - Part 2 - Pink Floyd
Across the Universe - The Beatles
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
Heart of Mine - Oak Ridge Boys
Try (Live) - John Mayer Trio
Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
Take Me for a Little While - Coverdale-Page
We Work the Black Seam - Sting

No comments:

Post a Comment