Saturday, February 19, 2011

Obsession and Compulsion

It never ends. Strange and interesting stuff just throws itself in my path. And then there are the tips from friends and family. My wife sends me an email from her phone: "Lost items for you to 'find'?" Attached is a photo of an odd collection she spotted behind a shed in back of Whiting Hall, just south of the library parking lot.

I couldn't make out the large item in the center, but there was an audio cord with two male RCA jacks and a socket wrench. The central object appeared to be a book or journal. Turns out it was a Bible (English Standard Version, Classic Reference Bible by Crossway). Only slightly water damaged it is rather a nice Bible and I wonder if someone might be missing it. I told my wife to let me know if anyone comes into the library looking for the stuff.

The crazy thing is that on my way to the library via bike I found myself stopping at an annoying frequency to pick up cans. Really, it does get bothersome to have to keep stopping, bending over, stomping cans, opening the rucksack. ... On the one hand I am grateful for the litterbugs who throw away money (in the form of cans), but the compulsion to stop and pick them up can become grating on one's psyche -- or something. It's like knowing you have OCD and wanting to not give in to it, then feeling almost guilty if you don't. Weird. 

The curious cat is mine; she was not found on a bike ride
nor on a run. We got her from friends on a farm.
Treasure: 1 Bible; 1 audio cable with RCA jacks; 1 Snap-On socket wrench with 13mm socket; 1 girl's stocking cap with ear flaps and tassel; 1 fleece scarf (Old Navy); 1 Galesburg Honda Toyota key chain tab (no ring); 46 cans.

iPod Playlist (on shuffle)
Heartland - U2
Sister Moon - Sting
I'm Going Home - Hootie & The Blowfish
The Main Thing - Roxy Music
You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
For Absent Friends - Genesis
Treat Her Right - The Commitments
Bad Company - Bad Company
Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2
On the Turning Away - Pink Floyd
Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley - Robert Palmer
Dammit Janet - Barry Bostwick & Susan Sarandon
New York - U2
Country Honk - Rolling Stones
Hidden Bonus Track (State of the Union) - Drywall
I Hate You (My Friend) - John Oszajca
Let Her Cry - Hootie & The Blowfish

No comments:

Post a Comment