Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Just for the run of it

Broken Heartbeat of America?
Heartbeat of a Broken America?
Beat of a Broken-hearted America?
No bag, no backpack, just an iPod in the pouch of my hoodie. I hit the streets after dark today not intending to look for anything but the high. The pain. The labored, steady breathing. The rhythm of the run. Nothing more, nothing less.

As it turns out I did pick up a couple of irrestibles. On Broad Street the glint of light on shiny metal caught my eye and I stopped for a key ring. No fancy fob, just a split ring. A half mile later, at Cherry and Selden streets I noticed a busted mud flap in the gutter. Bypassed it at first, but I backtracked 20 steps to retrieve it. Just seemed it could be an artistic expression somehow if I cut out the "Heartbeat of America" slogan. Maybe that's a crazy notion, but so's the whole endeavor.

Well, there you have it. Not a lot, but all I got.

Today's Stats
Temp: 37 degrees F
Distance: 6.3 miles
Weekly Total: 11.8
Treasure: 1 Chevy mud flap (hole through it); 1 split ring (for keys, minus a fob).

Something to crow about from Monday's chilly run.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Slight Figure of Speech - The Avett Brothers
An Innocent Man - Billy Joel
Shame - Matchbox Twenty
Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
From Me To You - The Beatles
Detox Mansion - Warren Zevon
Three is a Magic Number - Blind Melon
Breaking Us In Two - Joe Jackson
How Many More Times - Led Zeppelin
No Better Place - Fountains of Wayne
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Only The Good Die Young - Billy Joel
They Dance Alone - Sting
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment