Monday, February 7, 2011

Dream a little dream

I have begun to amass quite a collection. With Ronald Reagan's centennial yesterday, there's been some talk recently of the old "arms race" — the Cold War contest to see who could blow whom to kingdom come the quickest and most efficiently, theoretically while remaining alive and intact to enjoy the nuclear winter that would consume the desolate remains. Well, I feel like I'm in a "hands race" — the effort to collect the most gloves lost by other poor souls.

Sunday's picks: a cotton glove, pair of
ladies' small leather gloves, gas cap.
Like Old Maid or other match-the-pictures memory games, my quest is to find mates for some of the gloves I've gathered into my clutches. Thought I had achieved that rare feat the other day when I picked up a second knit glove with rubberized palm. Alas, two rights do not a matched pair make — unless one has had a hand transplant of a right hand onto the left arm. If so, give me a call.

I have, however, picked up a complete pair in one fell swoop. It happened Sunday on my way to The Register-Mail. I had spotted the pair in the gutter just south of the old West Theater, but passed them by on first consideration. They were small, leather and one zipper was missing its pull tab. That first encounter may have been Saturday. But when I rode by Sunday afternoon I decided to snatch 'em up. Maybe I goaded myself into it because I'd been handed a single cotton glove somewhere back on Kellogg Street near Cottage Hospital. So, there I was Sunday with three sopping-wet gloves in hand (not on hands; I don't have three hands).

I think that singular success sparked a dream this morning in the predawn hours before I fully woke. I found myself riding along North Seminary Street in the block that holds my parents' house. A few houses north of theirs I spotted a glove. Stopping to check it out, I notice another within a couple of feet. Then I see a complete pair. And another! Pretty soon I also spot a scarf; I'm confused at first whether it is a Chicago Blackhawks item or Iowa Hawkeyes. Turns out it's Iowa. Hmm, maybe daughter No. 1's boyfriend would like it. I start to gather its length into a bundle when I realize it's among a whole RACK of winter-wear odds and ends. WTF!? Why is there a sales rack of lost cold weather garments on the terrace? 

Is this what I've come to? Dreaming of lost gloves? Was it a sign? Am I to start a business? Rob's Lost & Found. There's a recently vacated space in the historic Seminary Street shopping district. Hmm...
Today wasn't only for dreams, though. Riding to GHS to deliver money to daughter No. 2 before lunch, I saw some article of clothing bunched up and flecked with snow on the side of the road on North Henderson Street. Not having a plastic bag with me at the moment, I passed it by. Then, as I crossed the street to Walgreens, I spied a license plate in the center turn lane. Well, there's no passing up such a prize. 
I stopped at Walgreens for a couple of snacks, primarily to get the right change for daughter No. 2, and  accepted the plastic shopping bag I normally would decline. Pedaling on to the high school, I drop off the money for my daughter's solo and ensemble contest fee, then high-tail it back to Henderson Street to scoop up that shirt and the license plate. I think I know the owner of the plate, so I'll be checking into that tomorrow. The shirt is in the wash as I write this and it will join the bra and panties I've already cataloged. OK, I know this is getting weird, but it's not like I'm wearing the stuff — not that there's anything wrong with that. By the way, do you think there's a connection between my writing about finding the bra and the recent appearance of Bra by Deals and Coupons Newsletter emails in my Yahoo! inbox?

Today's Stats
Temp: 25 degrees F
Distance: ? miles via bike
Treasure: C.J. Banks denim-look shirt, size 3X; vanity license plate ROSE _ _ _; 2 cans. From Sunday: 1 brown cotton glove; 1 pair leather gloves, ladies small, zipper back (one pull missing); 1 rubber gas cap (from a snowblower or some other piece of equipment?)

No comments:

Post a Comment