Friday, February 11, 2011

Get up, get back on your feet...


Triumphant return!
The worst thing about an injury is the disruption in routine. I don't consider myself a real creature of habit, but I guess we all are to a lesser or greater degree. And habits die hard, even the good ones. So once you've developed a good habit, like running, it's hard to break that routine just because of a little ol' muscle pull. Eventually, hopefully, wisdom holds sway and you take a break from the good habit.

Ah, healing. Feels a little better after a week. Hmmm. Maybe I should do just a short run. NO! Ya gotta be firm with yourself. Be smart about this. So you skip a few more days. Ah, healing. And relaxing. Oooh. Apart from the growing gut this feels pretty nice (I know, a pack and a half of Lorna Doones in a sitting doesn't help). Sleeping in, lounging around, No slave to routine is this guy. But you're foolin' yourself. You've become a slave to a new routine, an unhealthy one. Now you (that is to say I) have to break this bad routine of sloth.

Now, I could bow out another day (sore back began yesterday for some reason -- seriously, honest) and wait 'til Monday. But then that's just three more days of bad routine. The back really isn't that sore (seriously, honest). So today it is. Back on the streets.

Right left behind.
 I'm back from my run, refreshed, cleansed and clean. "Yeaow! I feel good," to quote the Godfather of Soul. I did three miles in 34 minutes, not far off my usual pace, which I'd say isn't bad for an inaugural trot on icy streets. And I even managed to pick up a handful of cans, a glove and some other knit remnant I have yet to identify (probably trash). I did bypass a kid's mitten that was atop the snow just off the street along the route to Silas Willard School (he or she just might return for it, however unlikely).

Today's Stats
Temp: 16 degrees F
Distance: 3 miles
Treasure: 1 leather glove, Thinsulate lined; 1 misc. knit remnant, unidentified; 15 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)

Everywhere I Go - The Call
Two of  a Kind, Workin' On a Full House - Garth Brooks
Bed of Lies - Matchbox Twenty
Foolish Games - Jewel
Captain Jack - Billy Joel
I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you are up and running once again! I have been poking around and am looking forward to seeing what you find

    ReplyDelete