Thursday, September 29, 2011

Left Behind, or: You Can't Take It With You (unless you're a pharaoh)

Sunrise on Walsh Avenue.
No, this isn't a story of the Rapture or death or ancient kings and their hordes of treasure. If that's what you were looking for, I apologize. But I was struck today by the things I leave behind. Particularly the noteworthy items that merited picking-up.

I claim no altruism in effect here. But sometimes I see worthy treasure that I figure is better left where it lies. Take, for example, the boys warm-up pants draped over the back of the bus bench on North Seminary Street this morning. First off, being boys size large, they wouldn't fit me anyway (not that the 36D bra did either), so it seemed pointless to pick them up. But I surely could have washed them and laid them on the free exchange table in the lobby of my apartment building. But more importantly, I am inclined to leave things I think people might truly want. 
I mean, perhaps they fell out of a kid's bag while he was waiting for the school bus yesterday. Or maybe he tired of wearing them and stripped 'em off, not considering the consequences on his return home. So maybe he'll be back for them. Maybe he forgot them and will snatch 'em back up when he spots them later today or whenever. Imagine his relief.

Conversely, I was sorely temped by the agricultural scene that adorned a painting lying in someone's garbage rather near the aforementioned clothing. It was being discarded, so I had no reluctance based on moral codes. Ultimately, as cool as I thought it might be, I decided I would never display it and it would simply add to the clutter I'll have to purge later. Might as well avoid that.

So the hunt continues. There's always something else lying around out there worth salvaging for some reason. Today it was a pink nurse's smock. There it lay on the corner of Fremont Street and Morton Avenue. In that location, I figured it was either an intentional discard or so randomly lost that it would not be found -- except by me.

Today's Stats
Temp: 50 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 10 miles
Treasure: 1 pink nurse's smock; 4 cans.


iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - The Yardbirds
Dirty Life & Times - Warren Zevon
I Once Loved a Lad - Margaret Davis
Venus - Bananarama
Say You Loved Me - Fleetwood Mac
Innnocence Maintained - Jewel
Baby Come On Home - Led Zeppelin
Ruby and Carlos - James McMurtry
The Camera Eye - Rush
Weather Report (live) - Ronnie Lane
Lawyers, Guns and Money - The Wallflowers
Dream On - Glee Cast (feat. Neil Patrick Harris)
Pictures of Lily - The Who

1 comment:

  1. Those pants have been there since Tuesday. At about 5 pm they were in the middle of the street, by 7 pm they were drapped over the back of that bench. I almost picked them up myself. I had a similar thought.....what if someone came back for them.

    ReplyDelete