Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Good, clean run

I really need to focus on some self-discipline. No, not that kind, ya bunch of gutter-minds! But when I run late and then have to rush around the rest of the morning and get to work and don’t get home ‘til late, I don’t get anything written until much later. Does anybody want to read about yesterday’s happenings at this point? We shall see.

I took a pretty mundane southern/eastern route that looped north on the return and back south to finally get home. I was struck at how little trash I saw yesterday. That, of course, meant I didn’t find much on the road, even cans. The 10 I picked up came in the last half or third of the run. But I’ll take that if it means cleaner streets. My hopes are not high.

One thing, however, continues to bolster my spirits: bicycles. Notably I was happy to see a bike locked to the simply rack outside Q’s CafĂ©. You see, I’ve noticed there aren’t many bike racks downtown. And apparently the couple that have been installed do not see much use. I have some theories on that.

So, those of us who bike downtown are left with few options if we wish to park our bikes near whatever establishment we happen to be patronizing. Caught in a downpour after visiting friends in Seminary Street Pub last night, I ended up parking my bike inside Budde’s Pizza and Good Spirits to keep it out of the rain. Alas, when I left it was still inside, so I am bikeless until they open for lunch.

But that’s not the point of bike racks, really. I parked inside because of the rain. But during dry conditions I end up cabling my ride to one of the huge lamp posts along Main Street (there’s one not far from the entrance to Budde’s. Those lamp posts are quite large in diameter, though, and it’s an exercise in determination to stretch a cable lock around one to secure a bike. And then there isn’t enough length to pass through the quick-release wheels to ensure some young entrepreneur doesn’t swipe the accessible parts.

Would people use the racks? Would their existence encourage cycling? I like to think that would be the case. The presence of bike racks would say to people, “We welcome you to shop and visit downtown Galesburg on two wheels.” Why don’t people use the bike racks we have? Maybe there’s a disconnect or a mixed message because bicycles are prohibited on downtown sidewalks. So maybe the message would be better received if it were in the form of a bike rack in place of a car parking space on the street. Just a thought.  

Today's Stats
Temp: 59 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Treasure: 1 kitchen faucet ring; 1 CD (content to be determined); 10 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Stop What You're Doing - Long John Hunter
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Money is the Name of the Game - Koko Taylor
Other Possibilities - Rachel Portman (Chocolat soundtrack)
A Day in the Life - The Beatles
In the Dark - Billy Squier
Nefertiti - Miles Davis
The Scientist - Coldplay
Oklahoma (live) - The Call

No comments:

Post a Comment