Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'm running circus around you


Just like Pink.
There comes a time when you just have to run. No time for distractions like treasure hunting or can collecting. No concern for distance, duration. You just run and get it done. And there's nothing wrong with that. That time came today.

I am admittedly a little off my game still. Seems every time I start to regain my running rhythm something happens to wrench it out of whack. So, willfully blowing off Wednesday morning because I was just too damned tired to get out of bed at 5:15 to head for Lake Storey, I was left with one real option: make up for it today. That still leaves Friday undetermined. Do I run tomorrow, too, or do I wait until Saturday? If I follow through with plans to bike to Monmouth Saturday does that buy me a pass on the run? (Freakin' ought to do.)

5-wheeled "unicycle"?
Well, that stuff's just hypothetical at this point. I at least got in the run. And, as always, it felt good. At least I felt better afterward. And I had a quicker pace today, too. Maybe it was the extra rest. I think it's about time to start timing all my runs, just to check for consistency and perhaps to give myself a goal now and then.

Anyway, the final leg home south on Seminary Street had me passing a line of trucks from the Carson and Barnes Circus, which put on two shows here this evening. Thank you, Noon Lions, for bringing the circus to town. I don't get caught up in all the animal rights politics of the circus culture. I don't think they're all cruel to the animals and I think there are far worse fates for animals and humans than performing in a circus. But maybe I'm just unenlightened. Feel free to chime in with support for my enlightened status.

So, thanks to the generosity of Mom and Dad, I treated Daughter No. 3 to her first circus show, as I have her sisters before her. She really enjoyed it and had fun speculating on which acts she might like to do were she inclined to join the circus (not the trapeze, but definitely the Wheel of Inspiration — I think that was what it was called). I know I am acrobatically talentless, so I'd have to settle for being setup muscle (because I'm such a beefcake). Or I could help the gals with costume changes and such.

"Kinty-Candy," he called and called. Yum and gross at once.
Temp: 73 F
Time: 7 a.m.
Distance: 2.5 miles
Weekly Total: 7.5
Treasure: Nada. Didn't even look.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle)
It Won't Be Long - Eric Lindell
The Wind (cover) - Billy Bob Thornton
At the Hop - Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids
Ladies Man - Joni Mitchell
Fire in the Hole - Steely Dan
Latin Tropical - Santana

D3 under the big top!



   
A bikini-cycle? (It's a two-piece!)
A circus hefalump.

No comments:

Post a Comment