Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Why don't we make believe...

OK, so the lyric is stolen from Toto, but this has nothing to do with pretending to be in love. Rather, we're going to pretend it is still Monday. You see, I got rather busy yesterday and just never got around to writing. So play along with me and we'll try to have a little fun.

I ran with direction and intention yesterday. In my travels of the previous day I spotted a couple of objects I wanted but wasn't in a position to collect at the time, so I set my route to see if they remained for the taking. They did. One I snatched up, the other I let go. Here's the story.

Biking along Carl Sandburg Drive in the neighborhood of Lowe's Home Improvement on Sunday I noticed a large article of clothing in the grass, not far from where I found the pile of black socks last winter. It turned out to be a Dickies hoodie. Despite the broken zipper and a few pink blemishes (like you get from bleach), the brown, insulated hoodie is in decent condition. If I decide I have no need of it, I'll leave it on the exchange table in the lobby downstairs. That's quality goods, folks -- Genuine Dickies!

On the same trip I noticed a pair of Earth sandals in the street at Broad and Losey (kinda like these). Looked like they might have been in decent condition, too, but I thought better (or worse) of it and decided to give the potentially smelly sandals a pass. A hoodie (or other cloth apparel) will wash up neat and clean, but footwear... meh. Too bad, 'cause they looked kinda nice, though they were women's so I couldn't wear 'em. Or I should say I wouldn't wear 'em.

Other recent finds of note include a pair of odd pliers. They're small and chromed, like some sort of mani-pedi tool, but the jaws are odd: flat with no grippy grooves but an indentation on each face, like on pliers for opening those spring clamps, except they lack the accompanying grove to the edge. Mechanical-types will understand my description I hope. Ha-ha, I just typoed that as "methcanical." New word! Must have been thinking of the likely owner of the hoodie. So, "methcanical" ... "one skilled in the technical aspects of meth production; not the cooker, but the equipment guy." Got that, everyone? I have dibs on that word!

Back to treasure hunting. I also happened upon a discarded T-shirt in the parking lot between Music Makers and the bank on Main Street. It's black with a green design that reads "Tell your girlfriend 2 stop textn me." Instead of the word "girlfriend," it has the universal icon for female, like you see on bathroom doors. Hilarious. OK, maybe not hilarious, but pretty funny to find it lying in a parking lot. I have my theories on why it was there. Tell me yours.

Today's Stats
Temp: 61 degrees F
Distance: 5.5 miles
Treasure: 1 Dickie's insulated hoodie (brown, broken zipper); 1 softball-size Wiffle ball; 1 pencil; 18 cans. Bonus (found in travels previous 2 days): 1 black T-shirt (Tell your girlfriend 2 stop textn me); 1 pair pliers (some special use sort); 1 13mm socket, 1/4-inch drive.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Take Me to the River - The Commitments
Time For Me to Fly - REO Speedwagon
KT177_3 - Hilarious WAV file ("You are ugly and stupid and you smell bad. Everyone thinks so.")
Bennie and the Jets - Elton John
Lawyers, Guns and Money - Warren Zevon
Five O'Clock 500 - Alabama
I Hope You Dance - LeeAnn Womack
Shine (Re-Mix) - Newsboys
Warehouse - Dave Matthews Band
Sometimes You Can't Make It On your Own - U2
The Camera Eye - Rush
Spell No. 23 (For Causing That the Deceased Be Remembered) - Alberto Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment