Friday, September 23, 2011

Inspiration on two wheels

Today was a mental exercise as much as a physical one. I opted for a predetermined playlist because I needed the certainty of inspiration; no day for leaving my mood to chance.

As it turns out, great music of my choosing aside, I found inspiration in the course of my run. Again I chose my direction rather at random, letting my feet lead me. They headed south, then west. I found myself on South Street, passing the Knox County Courthouse and Knox College. It was Knox that inspired. Or rather it was Knox that fueled my hope and confidence in humanity.

For it was on the Knox campus on South Street, in front of Williston Hall, that I was greeted with a bike rack full of bicycles. It was a sight to behold. I've often been disappointed to see the abundance of empty slots in bike racks at Churchill Junior High and Galesburg High School. I won't get into the overprotectiveness of parents and the laziness of kids. Different issues for another day.

Simply let it be known that I ascribe to the idea that more bikers means safer biking for all. And to see lots of bikes on a college campus gives me hope that perhaps they'll carry on with cycling for enjoyment and transportation as they move out into the world. It's economical, ecological, socially engaging, emotionally fulfilling and physically liberating. So go ride a bike and free your soul.

Today's Stats
Temp: 49 degrees F
Distance: 5.1 miles
Weekly Total: 15 miles
Treasure: 1 bicycle chain.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Broken - Lifehouse
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Distance - Ryan Patrick
Heartbreak Warfare - John Mayer
I Will Follow You Into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie
I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab for Cutie
Just Like a Pill - Pink
Smooth - Santana (feat. Rob Thomas)
Time and Time Again - Counting Crows
We Will Not Be Lovers - The Waterboys

No comments:

Post a Comment