Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Write Stuff: What's the Run in that?

Sometimes we need somebody else to state the obvious. Someone to tell us what we already know in a way that leaves us with no excuses. Duh. Dads are pretty good at that. I was enjoying an Arby's Cheddar Classic with my dad on Monday when he asks, "Where's the Scavenger been? I haven't seen any blog lately."

 Well, my knees were hurtin' for a couple weeks so I didn't run and then I ran last Wednesday and just have gotten around to blogging about it. And my knee hurts again. ...

"So, if you're not running because of pain, then you write about that."

Huh. No shit. Thanks, Dad. Really.

It should seem obvious, but I was a writer before I was a runner. And while I need to get back into shape (I've added a few pounds since last summer, though I'm still better off than I was two years ago) and that means running, writing is what's really important. That's a different kind of exercise, one of which I am desperately in need.

Of course I don't have a lot to say right now, so I'm rambling without purpose, direction or forethought. Oh well. Couple of comments come to mind:

The stores are in seasonal limbo as we get into the holiday crush, madly hurtling from Halloween to Christmas, practically skipping over Thanksgiving (after all, besides life and health and all that, what is there really to be thankful for, eh?). Shelves are stocked with generic fall decorations, Halloween costumes and makeup, skulls and skeletons and ghosty-ghoulies. Two aisles over they've begun setting out the Christmas crap. Hell, if you look hard enough you're bound to spot a few New Year's Eve party pieces. 

It almost gets confusing. And really it makes me want to a.) hibernate and b.) prepare for Black Friday. I want bargains, baby!

Still, I rather dread the holidays. This year will be worse than usual as impending divorce casts a pall and creates greater scheduling confusion than usual.

A sign of Christmas. Somebody was throwing out the family
holiday tree train base. Too bad. I think Dad's still works.
So it was with dark humor and no serious ill intent that I was drawn during last week's run to "lay my head on the railroad tracks." Not sure if it was the Double E that I was waiting for, but whatever, that "railroad don't run no more. Poor, poor, pitiful me."

Today's Stats
Temp: 63 degrees F
Distance: 4.5 miles
Treasure: 4 cans, 3 cigarette packs (for my art project); 1 ratty piece of plaid flannel (I think it'll make a nice dust cloth).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Time and Time Again - Counting Crows
Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey - The Beatles
Seasonal (Acoustic Sample) - Ryan Patrick
Yer Blues - The Beatles
Everywhere I Go - Willie Nelson & Emmylou Harris
Edith and the Kingpin - Joni Mitchell
Don't Let Us Get Sick (cover) - Jill Sobule
Very Special Love - Alabama
Ghetto - Cartman (a funny little 7-second clip that didn't actually play because it's file type is incompatible)
All My Loving - The Beatles
A Dios - Santana
Levelland (live) - James McMurtry
Drunken Lady of the Morning - Michael Martin Murphey

1 comment:

  1. Thank you "Dad" for stating the obvious!! I had more than once contemplated yelling at you on fb to PLEASE BLOG and give you a swift kick in the rear to get back to running. Of course, done with lots of running love.

    ReplyDelete