Friday, June 10, 2011

To Scavenge is to Salvage

Running for me began as an exercise in self-discipline and, well, exercise. I have flirted with fitness in the past, or at least with the notion of fitness, exercise, weightlifting, "working out." But I've never stuck with it like I have the past year. I have been committed. Or perhaps I should be committed.

Now, though, besides the enjoyment of the run, the exercise, the runner's high, I find pleasure in the hunt. The randomness of it (with the exception of those rare occasions when I have chosen a route to return to the location of a previous discovery) is as exciting as the bizarre items I find.

Then, of course, there is the challenge of finding a use for some oddity or repairing some broken discard. Consider today's cast-off: a pink collapsible fishing rod bearing the Disney Princess logo. The mini-rod, produced by Shakespeare, was broken near the base of the shaft that meets the handle. I knew it was broken and figured to do nothing more than photograph it and pitch it upon my return home. Then it occurred to me that I would be perpetuating the throw-away philosophy I so abhor. 

I considered for a moment the busted equipment. You know, self, I said to myeslf (sorry, couldn't resist), this thing isn't a total loss. The built-in reel contains a spool of fishing line that could be saved for some unknown future purpose. The crank is held on by a nut and the inner workings contain gears and other small parts that have potential as fix-it bits. Then I saw how it was broken and realized it could be repaired. A couple of wraps of some handy electrician's tape (another street find) and it's as good as new -- which really isn't very good, but the point is, it isn't exactly any worse for the wear.

Maybe daughter No. 3 will use it sometime when we visit the lake. Perhaps next year's fishing derby. Or maybe not. It could find its way into the hands of some other kid who doesn't have a fishing pole and wants to try his or her hand at angling without investing much in the trial. Either way, it was a freebie and a good salvage.

Today's Stats
Temp: 59 degrees F
Distance: 3.25 miles
Weekly Total: 10.5 miles
Treasure: 1 Crayola marker (red but with a yellow cap); 1 Disney Princess fishing pole (broken); 19 cans.

This Bud Light bonanza at Losey and Kellogg
streets provided 14 of today's cans.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Helter Skelter (cover) - Dana Fuchs
Havana Daydreamin' - Jimmy Buffett
Don't Let Him Go - REO Speedwagon
Hello Seattle - Owl City
Stay (Wasting Time) - Dave Matthews Band
China Girl - David Bowie
Midnight in Paris (live) - Wynton Marsalis Septet
Near the End - David Gilmour
Any Time At All - The Beatles
Caught Up In You - .38 Special

No comments:

Post a Comment