Monday, June 20, 2011

A Day Early, A Day Late (And Then Some)

Yes, well, it's been a while. I got a little off schedule at the end of last week. Chalk it all up to lack of sleep. Of course, part of that is attributable to this very blog entry. Let me explain.

The collage I created for Amanda's open house. That's
a whole other (long) story. That's one of the frames I
salvaged from the curb a few weeks back.
Having risen early Monday to run I stayed up late that night after work to finish a project for daughter No. 2's high school graduation open house. That was followed with an early morning and day shift at work. Wednesday morning brought an even earlier awakening for the Lake Storey Fun Run with the Go Outside and Play gang. Thursday was a long day and I decided to get in my run that night to allow for a little sleeping in Friday morn.

So it was that I hit the streets at 11 p.m. Thursday, hauling my rear to Walmart for a late-night shopping trip. That trip proved fruitless on the shopping front but delivered an oddity (which I alluded to Wednesday) for the collection, even if it ends up in the Dumpster. You see, a few days earlier I had noticed what appeared to be the small white wheel of a child's scooter or bike lying between the two sets of tracks about 20 yards east of the North Seminary Street crossing near North Street. I was determined to return and check it out (harboring just a wee bit of trepidation at the thought of trespassing on railroad property). I figured I was doing BNSF a favor, though, by a.) removing a potential hazard and 2.) eliminating a possible attractive nuisance that could lure some child into harm's way. You're welcome, Mr. Buffet.

Well, it turned out to be the front half of a Barbie tricycle; the step platform, rear wheels and seat are missing. I haven't torn into it yet, but I am hopeful there is some salvage value (bearings or something). As it turns out, my internal clock woke me at 5 a.m. Friday, so that part of the plan went awry, too.

But the story takes an interesting turn in that whole scenario. You see, I had run some errands Thursday evening after work while I had Mom's car (yes, I can and do occasionally drive). While checking out at Hy-Vee I requested $20 cash back. Apparently the cashier, distracted by the rigmarole of having to manually approve my alcohol purchase because the scan spot on the back of my driver's license won't scan, forgot to give me my cash. I, too, was equally put off my game by the situation and didn't notice until I was getting read to run to Walmart late that night.

I began to question whether I actually had requested cash back at any of my stops. I let it slide until morning. When I awoke I reviewed my receipts and noted that indeed Hy-Vee owed me $20 change that I couldn't locate. Acknowledging that I may have lost the bill from my wallet or pocket or the grocery sack, I decided to at least check the cashier's accountability. A call to the store put me in touch with the accounting department. I explained the matter and provided the register number and cashier name and soon the helpful woman on the other end said there was, in fact, a discrepancy with that drawer at shift's end.I heard her say $19.38 or something close (indicating the cashier in question made more than one error). It was close enough that I was promised my cash on return to the store.

I'm sorry, am I boring you? Trust me, it gets better. Skip ahead here. ... Riding back from the story I came across a nice lanyard from Lincoln College of Technology, the kind on which kids carry their keys and discount cards and such. I continued south on Henderson Street to check out what appeared to be a T-shirt I had seen near the Fremont Street intersection the evening before. It turned out to be a white "beater" shirt but clearly stained with a red juice. I left it behind.

Pedaling east on Losey Street I spied something odd in the gutter near Crossroads Counseling. A U-turn brought me a small bag of candy chews, fruit-flavored bits similar to Tootsie Rolls. They're in the freezer because I can't decide whether to try one or just pitch 'em.

Yum?
But the best came last: a woman's sweatshirt in wearable condition for some XL gal looking for a fall warmer for the Scenic Drive. The dark blue shirt, a Jerzees brand if I recall, has a leafy branch, bird and butterfly on the front. It will be washed soon and delivered to one of the charities in town. Somewhere along the line I picked up yet another bandana, this one in black, which washed up nicely. I think I'll use it to cover the top of my bike basket to keep lightweight items from fluttering out of it.

So, there you have it. I may be a couple days late, but tomorrow will be here soon. Oh, huh, just noticed the clock and it is here. Late again.

Today's Stats
Temp: 72 degrees F
Distance: 4.8 miles
Weekly Total: 13.3 miles
Treasure: 1/2 of a tricycle; 8 cans. Friday morning, 6/17: 1 Lincoln College of Technology lanyard; 1 blue sweatshirt, size XL, leaf and bird motif; 1 bag of candy; 5 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Lately - Greg Brown
Boomtown - Greg Brown
Key - Devics
Wait For Me - Les Fleur De Lys
Unanswered Prayers - Garth Brooks
What's Simple Is True - Jewel
Palm of Your Hand - Cake
Clocks - Coldplay
Devil In Her Heart - The Beatles
All Together Now - The Beatles
Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison (I love this song)
Carry That Weight - The Beatles
One Slip - Pink Floyd
When I'm Sixty-Four - The Beatles
Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg (Love this one, too)

No comments:

Post a Comment