Monday, June 13, 2011

Head East

She passed me at Custer Park as I
picked up some trash. Not often I
see another runner.
A new week, a new route. I've gone north often and it usually includes  a westerly start. Last week I turned south for a different look at my town. Today it seemed right to head east. That included a few blocks to the north to hit a stride and find a long street that would reach Farnham Street. Many of the east-west streets are cut off by tracks before they get there and I wanted to cross the Farnham Street bridge.

The old bridge, of course, was way cooler. It was a steeply arched wooden structure that rumbled when you drove over it, not unlike the old Fourth Street bridge over the hump yards on the south side. I believe one of my grandpas had a hand in building the latter. Both have been replaced by modern concrete spans that lack character but gain serviceability. 
This lonesome bike has been locked
to the fence across from Cottage
Hospital for an eternity.
I stopped atop the Farnham bridge when I saw a westbound BNSF train approaching, hoping to get a photo from the high angle over the tracks. I waited for the right moment, but alas, I pushed the up arrow to adjust the exposure instead of the OK button to take the photo. Stupid phone cam. OK, no the phone's fault, obviously; stupid operator. I got a second chance later on Main Street, though, when I was cut off by another train. I looped around along Pearl, Ella and Lincoln streets to bide my time and keep moving until I could cross the tracks.

The time-killer was perfectly timed. And I gained 6 cents and a lighter on Ella. I was pleasantly surprised by the lighter. I've come across many a Bic on my travels, either smashed to bits by a car tire or empty and rusted. This one lighted on the first roll of the wheel and a shake proved it to be nearly full. Come on, baby, light my fire!

Today's Stats
Temp: 59 degrees F
Distance: 3.5 miles
Treasure: 1 Bee Drug-Free pencil; 1 nickel; 1 penny; 1 Bic lighter, yellow, full; 14 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Haitian Divorce - Steely Dan
Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation
Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions
T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M. (Fly Away) - George Clinton & The P-F All-Stars
You're My Home - Billy Joel
Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
Mary's Place - Bruce Springsteen
100 Years - Five For Fighting
Hoodoo Man Blues - Buddy Guy
The Bed's Too Big Without You - The Police

No comments:

Post a Comment