Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Return of the Scavenger

Finally. June 1, a lovely summer day before summer really begins. What better way to start running again? I kept it short and manageable tonight (hit the pavement at 8:20 p.m.) Aside from some soreness every time I bent/squatted to pick up a can, it felt pretty good.

Now, as promised, the secret to my recovery from butt-ache and numb-leg. Chalk it up to The Stick. What is the stick, you ask? Well, check it out here. I first saw it on the Go Outside and Play Facebook page. Thanks, Nick and Tracy, for posting that one! I admit I was a little skeptical at first. There are so many workout aides and devices to build muscle without pain and many seem pretty silly. But this isn't a muscle builder. The Stick is "a toothbrush for muscles," according to the slogan on the package insert.

First I clicked on the link on Go Outside and Play's FB page and watched a promo video by some wild man (Tim Borland) who's run 26 marathons in 26 days or something insane like that (much more insane -- 63 in 63 days!). The dude sounded knowledgeable so I checked out the company website further. I was a little put off by the price and variety at first. There are several models of different lengths and flexibility, ranging from $27 to more than $50.

But as my aches and occasional numbness (something must have been pinched) continued, I found myself walking through door at 57 S. Seminary Street and asking Nick Pigg about The Stick. He showed me a couple models and let me test each one. Nick swears by it and says he uses it after every run as part of his regimen. So I bought the little travel model for $27.50 and started in as soon as I got home.
The Stick roll knots out of muscle, providing myofascial release & trigger point therapy. 
This therapeutic procedure inactivates trigger points (muscle knots/kinks), warms muscle, increases circulation and encourages nutrient-rich blood flow. 
The Stick relieves pain, increases range of motion, promotes flexibility and accelerates recover.

Indeed it does. I'll continue to use it. A morning of yard work (hedge trimming, weeding, mowing and chopping unwanted volunteer trees) took its toll and undid some of my progress. But not so much that I was willing to put off that long-awaited run.

Tonight's route took me past the Mobil Mart on West Main
Street. The pumps are gone! I think that car may be there
a while if it really needed gas.
Today's Stats
Temp: 77 degrees F
Distance: 2.7 miles  (3.1 after cool-down walk)
Treasure: 1 yellow plastic bangle; 1 Disney Old Maid card (Cinderella); 2 empty cigarette packs; 19 cans. .

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
White, Clean and Neat - Robert Plant
We Work the Black Seam - Sting
Hold On Loosely - .38 Special
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
Roadhouse Blues (live) - The Doors
I Can Play That Rock 'n Roll - Joe Walsh

Cool-Down Walk
For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her (live) - Simon & Garfunkel
Soul Doctor - Foreigner
Jealousy - The Call

No comments:

Post a Comment