Monday, June 6, 2011

All Blown Up and No Place to Go

It really is better to run in the morning when the temperature hits summer highs, especially when the highs come before summer officially begins. We logged 93 degrees this afternoon -- another local record for the weather books. But at 6:30 in the morning it was a much more comfortable 77 degrees.
While the comfy air allowed me to complete my run without lapsing into a walk at any point, it didn' prevent me from being tuckered out at the end. Of course it wasn't only the run that left me drained. It was a long week with plenty of outdoor chores capped by a day at the ballpark (94 degrees in St. Louis on Saturday). All good fun, but it takes it out of you. Still, the run refreshes, inspires and intrigues.

Consider today's lousy haul. I took in nothing more than cans, but the stuff left behind was curious. First, from Jefferson Street, an empty box for an "Anal Balloon Pump." Wha!? I never cease to be amazed at the bizarre trash left floating through the streets. I had to share this freaky find right off, so I told a co-worker. He chuckled and raised his eyebrows, innocently asking, "What do you do with that, or don't I want to know?"

"You don't want to know," I assured him.

Not nearly so exciting -- certainly not at all titillating -- was the single child's sandal in the grass on the terrace on Prairie Street. Kids are always running out of shoes and socks and sandals and just about any other garment you force on them. But does no one go looking for the lost? When Timmy toddles home minus one of his new sandals, does Mom just shake her head and head to Walmart for another pair?

I suppose it is just another example of our throwaway society. Why expend effort into finding the lost when new is cheap and easy?

Today's Stats
Temp: 77 degrees F
Distance: 3.35 miles
Treasure: 9 cans; 1 empty box for an "Anal Balloon Pump"; and 1 child's sandal.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Fancy Man Blues - The Rolling Stones
Beauty Killed the Beast - James Newton Howard ("King Kong" soundtrack)
O My God - The Police
Alejandro - Lady Gaga
Numb - Pink
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Summertime - John Coltrane
I Hardly Know How To Be Myself - Rodney Crowell
I really dig all the crazy stickers people personalize their vehicles with.

No comments:

Post a Comment