Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mixed Results

Everybody knows the lyrics to that '70s heartbreak song: "I did my best, but I guess my best wasn't good enough..."

 Well, that's kind of how it was today for the annual Railroad Days 5K. I moved up a notch in the age divisions and it cost me. Some of those old guys are fast! Not this one. I am reminded of the quote I saw last week that went something like this: "I've heard people say to me, 'I'm not a runner.' We're all runners. Some are just fast runners and some are slow runners." I'm on the slow end.

Still, I outdid my previous best with a finish of 26:26 (and I think the manual time-keeper was a hair off -- the clock said 26:18 when I saw it just before crossing). Eight seconds wouldn't buy me hardware, though. First and second in the Men's 45-49 division were 19:something and third place clocked in at 21:something.

I felt kind of bummed at first, but I cajoled myself into better spirits by applauding the other runners, many of whom I knew, like Men's 10K overall winner Alex Moreno, Men's 23-39 10K winner Steven Hall and Women's 19-22? 5K winner Shannon Stacey. Congrats to all of them and everyone else, whether I know you or not (and forgive me if I do and didn't list you -- short memory).

For those of you curious about the scavenging, rest assured I picked up a couple of items, though only one during the race. I thought perhaps the black T-shirt was cast off by a heated runner. Nobody claimed it afterward so it joins the shop-rag pile at home. Further inspection cast doubt on my original theory. The size 3X T is pretty skanky; stained and sliced in at least one spot, I don't think it was anyone's race apparel.

More words and photos later. Now I have to work.


Stats
Distance: 5K (3.1 miles or so)
Time: 26:26 (personal best)

At right: I placed 43rd overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment