Saturday, July 9, 2011

Not Very Writative

What the hell does that mean, you're wondering? Well, just what you'd think. If I weren't very talkative, which often I am not, I would be silent. In this case, the reservoir that feeds my keyboard is empty. There just wasn't much flowing through my head as I ran Friday, other than thoughts of the goal toward which I strive.

Keystone Light is for kiddies.
I meant to keep it a secret, but I've already divulged to a few people so here it is. I plan to run in the Bix 7 at the end of the month.That means upping my mileage. As you can guess from the name of the race, the Bix is a 7-mile run. What you might not know is that it's mostly uphill. I've only heard about it. Read the stories last year when a beloved Galesburg coach died during the race, leaving behind a wife and two young children and many friends and admirers. Former Register-Mail Assistant Sports Editor Zack Creglow
wrote this award-winning account of the tragedy.

John Chapman was a conditioned athlete. He was four years younger than I am now. But fate is fickle. She (or he, as the case may be, considering we're really talking about God here) claims her souls when it is their time, and logic rarely factors into the plan. It is what it is, as they say.

Anyway, I don't know what my fate will be at the Bix -- beyond knowing that I won't be placing (though I thought it would be something of an achievement to place absolute last in a race that attracts thousands of runners -- surely I won't be the slowest one there). Only time will tell. I'm sure the world awaits the results with bated breath.

As I told a friend recently, though, running races, for me, is about completion, not competition. Any competition is solely with myself. So far, I've been winning; each subsequent race has seen me improve my time. I've completed a whopping three 5K races. Last summer I regularly ran 6 miles once a week in my regimen. I have yet to do that this year. I did up the stakes this week with three runs of 5 miles each (5.25 miles on Monday and Friday. I intend to step it up again next week as I prepare for the Bix.

For those of you who don't know, the Bix is named for Bix Beiderbecke, a jazz cornet player from the 1920s who hailed from Davenport. I must make it a priority to see the Bix bio-pic in which the late Register-Mail writer Bill Cole had a bit role as a piano player in one scene (so he claimed; I don't see him listed in the full credits on IMDB, but I am sure he was truthful in this). Bill was a talented man: substitute teacher, musician, writer. Sadly, like many a musician and writer (forgive the stereotyping), Bill had a drinking problem. Ultimately it cost him his life. Like other friends who have passed beyond this realm, I miss Bill dearly. Oh, the stories I could tell. Perhaps another time. After all, I said I wasn't very writative.

I'm wondering, is it safe to take Bayer found on the sidewalk?
By the way, I cannot claim coinage of the term; I stole it from my Forgotten English calendar.

Today's Stats
Temp: 68 degrees F
Distance: 5.25 miles
Weekly Total: 15.5 miles
Treasure: 1 baby bottle nipple and collar; 1 Marlboro box; 1/2 iPod snap-on cover; 1 bottle Bayer aspirin (open but nearly full);10 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
A Hard Day's Night (Anthology version) - The Beatles
People Are Strange - The Doors
Physical - Glee Cast (feat. Olivia Newton John)
Dark Island - Off Kilter
Dr. Feelgood (Love Is A Serious Business) - Aretha Franklin
Chelsea Morning - Joni Mitchell
Totally Out of Control - Buddy Guy (with David Z & Resse Wyans)
Parker's Band - Steely Dan
Looking East (live) Jackson Browne
Roll With The Changes - REO Speedwagon
Mystery Train - Jeff Beck and Chrissi Hynde
Isn't It A Pity - George Harrison
You Crack Me Up - Huey Lewis & The News
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment