Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cock Crow and the Lincoln Log

A fine line of mist spread over the fields at
Seminary and Sandburg Drive early today.
Today I was up before cock crow. How does a city boy know that to be true? Because as I rode along the 800 or 900 block of North Seminary Street (a good 20 minutes after I got out of bed) I heard a rooster crow quite loudly.

Sadly that's all I have on that subject. While in the shower I conjured some brilliant connection between "cock crow" and the biblical reference to same when Jesus foretells of Peter's thrice renouncement the night of Christ's betrayal. But such is the brilliance of flowing water; as it rushes down the drain, it frequently takes with it whatever inspiration it delivered in the moment.

Fourth of July revelers weren't lacking for inspiration, though. About the 1.75 mile mark on the Lake Storey path, I believe, we literally ran across some oddly inspired art. Picture if you can a three-foot tie-dye penis sprouting from the back of Abe Lincoln's noggin. Well, if that's a difficult image for you to pull out of thin air, here it is.

Today's runners were Nick, Jason, Matt and I. They know I am always on the lookout for something interesting to report here and Nick asked at the finish, "So, did you take a picture of the drawing?" Oh yeah. We chuckled over the juxtaposition of Honest Abe and a pink-and-purple penis. I noted the leap from hop-scotch sketches in the same colors near the playground to bawdy adult art farther along the trail. What would Freud say? 

Anyway, one more surprise awaited. As I biked through Lincoln Park on my way home I spied a figure slumped at a picnic table not far from the veterans memorial. I passed but doubled back, concerned that something might be not all right. I dismounted, turned off the iPod and pulled the buds from my ears, straining to listen for any sound emanating from the still body. I crept closer, careful not to make a noise should s/he just be sleeping. I stopped some distance away and observed the still body, looking for the slightest telltale rise and fall of breathing, the way a new parent does with a sleeping infant whose breath is inaudible.

About to approach and try to rouse the person, I was halted by a passing city truck.

"He's all right. He's just sleeping. Does that every day," assured the city crewman in the passenger seat of the orange pickup.

"OK," I yelled back.

Our exchange had no effect on the sleeping man.

That's the beater hanging on the sign.
Today's Stats
Temp: 68 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 10.25 miles
Treasure: 1 black "beater" shirt; 1 frame of sidewalk art (Abe Lincoln, Power Fist and a tie-dye penis); 1 large silver bow (on the ride home).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Wildfire - Michael Martin Murphey (I absolutely love this song. If you're a hater, keep it to yourself. In fact, this video is such an amazing version I'll link no others today. Sit back and enjoy.)
Bent - Matchbox Twenty
Young Lust (cover) - Luther Wright and the Wrongs
Why Me? - Mike + The Mechanics
Killa - Cherish (feat. Young Joc)
Pharaoh's Dance - Miles Davis (skipped; didn't want to spend the entire return trip on one 20-minute tune)
Waitin' On A Sunny Day - Bruce Springsteen
Walk On - U2
Du Tu Amor - Santana
The Risk - Warren Zevon
Ourselves To Know - Warren Zevon
The Difference - Matchbox Twenty

No comments:

Post a Comment