Saturday, July 16, 2011

Graduation Day

A short, mixed bag today. Ran out of time (no pun intended) after Thursday's run and just didn't get around to writing yesterday. Today brought biking, no running, but I put in 12.5 miles all around town through the course of the day, so we'll count that as a little cross-training.

I thought "One Way" meant "My Way."
And the exciting thing about that cross-training is that I graduated from the little girlie bike that draws so many jeers and mocking compliments. After doing some cleaning at my folks' house (three hours' worth) I began my errands: Capitol Music (going out of business sale), Menards, Target, Big Lots, Aldi, pick up daughter No. 3, dinner, home.

I did all that on my latest borrowed bike, a cinnamon Schwinn Sprint 10-speed. A boy bike. And adult boy bike. Guess what? No jeers. No smart remarks. I did almost get hit when I pulled out in front of a truck as I turned the corner out of the Walmart parking lot (not used to vehicles coming from behind the store). And I must say it took a little getting used to a road bike. I've been on a mountain bike for 15 years and more recently an upright English 3-speed -- and lately a kiddie freestyle bike. Yeah, a little different.

Anyway, I graduated and I'm making progress on repairing the four other bikes in my stable. Mostly that's thanks to Dad. He finished the disassembly of the Robin Hood and started sandblasting it in preparation for a new paint job. He adjusted the bottom bracket collar I thought needed adjusting so the BB would fit in my Trek 830. He unstuck one of the pedals from the old crankset of the 830 so I can use it again.

Thanks, Dad. Again.

You see, Dad's mechanically inclined, and despite his best efforts over the years, I am not. I can manage some things. I try, I really do. My mind just doesn't work that way (think Peter Brady working in Mr. Martinelli's Bike Shop).

Finally, Dad also provided some non-mechanical assistance, suggesting I leave the girlie bike and take the neighbor's Schwinn that's been hanging in Dad's garage for the last five years or more. A quick wipe-down to remove some dust and grease and a fill-up at the air-compressor and the Sprint was ready to roll. Most surprising was the shifters and brakes that were still in decent adjustment. What a change. I was positively exhilerated pedaling around town today. 

Self portrait in the windows of Northwoods Community
Church (formerly NAEIR, formerly Belscott).
Today's Stats
Temp: 90+ degrees F
Distance: 12.5 miles (plus 5.25 miles running Thursday)
Weekly Total: 23 miles (10.5 running)
Treasure: 1 Marlboro box; 9 cans (all Thursday).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Thursday:
Running to Stand Still - U2
Stop - Pink Floyd
The Weight of Lies - The Avett Brothers
If I'm On the Late Side - The Faces
Don't Pity Me - The Foremen
Gloria - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Fall of the House of Usher - The Alan Parsons Project
Louisiana Bayou (live) - Dave Matthews Band
Jacob's Ladder (live) - Bruce Springsteen
Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - Cake
Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers - ZZ Top

1 comment: