Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"I'm pacing myself, Sergeant"

Wednesday's Lake Storey Fun Run was indeed fun. Daytime temps this week are spiking north of 90 degrees and the humidity isn't far behind. But the air at quarter to 6 was a not uncomfortable 77 degrees. It's only July but the days already are shortening (yes, I know the science); the sun was just peeking over the horizon at that hour and the sky wasn't yet bright enough to douse the decorative street lamps throughout Lincoln Park.


Surprisingly six runners turned out for the morning run, the most I've seen in the half dozen runs I've done with the group. That was nice. And again there was another new guy. Did I get his name? No. Lousy reporter, I know. That's why I'm an editor now -- too shy/introverted to make the effort of an inquiry or introduction most of the time. I'll work on that.

The trip out to the lake was decent enough -- first time on my latest borrowed bike, a spiffy Schwinn Sprint 10-speed that comes closer to living up to its name than did the 7-speed Schwinn Jaguar. Or maybe not; I suppose a Jaguar is known more for quiet prowling than for speed. Still, cats are supposed to be nimble and quick, and the Jag wasn't. But let me tell you, by the 1.5-mile mark I was feeling the heat.

Sweat poured down my body. I stopped and whirled a bandana (one of a pair of classic patterned red ones I found a while back) into a headband. Insects flitted in and out of my sopping hair. Fingers, even splayed to catch as much drying air as possible, began to prune.

Of the six runners on the path, I was trotting along in fifth (no, it is not a race, I understand that). But at the 2-mile mark Carmen passed me up. She's a true distance runner. Pacing is her game. She has her eye on an upcoming Ultra 8 and a marathon, I believe. She explained the Super 8 as a distance challenge. The only time factor is the eight-hour span of the event. Runners start and go as far as they can in eight hours. You can run a while, walk a while, sit a spell ... whatever jazzes your jets. Carmen said some competitors set their sights on completing a marathon and once they hit that distance call it a day and quaff a beer or two while the run goes on past. In the end, the runner who covers the greatest distance in eight hours wins.

Hats (or headbands) off to you, Carmen. Wow!

So anyway, I then found myself back in familiar territory: back of the pack. That brought to mind one of the many great lines from "Stripes":

Sgt. Hulka (to recruit John Winger coming out of equipment issue): Soldier, I've noticed you're always last."

Winger: "Im pacing myself, Sergeant."

Sgt. Hulka: "Move it!" 
Bicycle photography: That's the tank top I
found wrapped around the top tube and
the Bud Light can in the water bottle cage.

Yeah, that's pretty much me. I always did have an affinity for that flick. Hell, it practically inspired me to sign up. No, I didn't believe the Army would be just like it was in the movie, but there was an allure to seeing the world. Bill Murray and gang went to Germany and as a student of the language I hankered to follow suit. I had dreams. But screw infantry, I wanted tanks! And who wouldn't want to get in shape and be transformed into a "lean, mean fighting machine"?

Today's Stats
Temp: 77 degrees F (81 by finish)
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 8.2
Treasure: 1 women's tank top, Nike, blue; 1 large Bud Light can (there were more, but I didn't have a bag again.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - The Beatles
Kings - Steely Dan
Midnight Man - The Allman Brothers Band
Milagro - Santana
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles
College Days - The Great Divide
County Fair - Bruce Springsteen
For Everyman (live) - Jackson Browne
Gives You Hell - The All-American Rejects
Scraping Dixie - John Gorka
Don't Take Me Alive - Steely Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment