Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Run

I skipped the fireworks on the Fourth. I went running instead – a different kind of independence celebration. I thought about timing it so I could linger in the Seminary Square shopping area, my turnaround point last night, but I had postponed dinner until after my run and I didn’t feel like waiting any longer. Besides, it’s hell to start again if you take an appreciable break after any distance. 

Check it out. Found this magnifying card on Bateman Street.
Being magnified, Lily Engebretson's winning bumper sticker
design promoting the greatness of Galesburg.
So I returned home just before the big fireworks show at Lake Storey. But hey, I’ve seen a few bursts in the sky to the southeast the past few weekends – inexplicable – and tonight I’ve heard plenty of loud booms nearby as the neighborhood rabble defy laws established primarily for their safety and the protection of the public and community property.

I’m not one to be holier-than-thou about it. I’ve scoffed at a few laws, man’s and God’s, but safety is safety and I just hope nobody loses a finger or an eye.

And so, speaking of breaking the law, tell me where you think this one falls. My route was selected based on a scavenge I spotted a couple days ago. A return to the location yesterday showed the object still in its place of rest and I noted it again on bike errands earlier in the day Monday. So, I made it a point to run out there and pick up said object and claim it for the Street Scavenger. I think the honest guy inside may win out and I’ll return it, as I have items of personal value before. But this one is different. I’m not sure if it is public or private property.

Enough stalling – I expect no acceptance of my deed. The object in question is a No Parking This Side of Street sign, found in the grass below its mounting point on a light pole near the entrance to Menards. I suppose it is more than a little -- what was the word I heard relating to my new décor recently – adolescent (i.e. college boy-ish). But it’s still kind of cool. 

And if it lay on the ground for at least three days (probably longer) then it wasn’t really missed, was it? And really, who needs to be told not to park along that drive? Who the bleep would want to park there? There are two GINORMOUS parking lots right there and any space in them is closer than parking along the road. Hell, I was at Menards on Black Friday last year, undoubtedly the busiest day of the year for that place, and nobody was parked along the street – plenty of spaces available in the lot.

Bottom line today is, 5.25 miles was, if not quite effortless, rather comfortable. The temperature was a comfortable 73 and the humidity wasn’t bad. That’s a good start toward the month’s-end goal.

Today's Stats
Temp: 73 degrees F
Distance: 5.25 miles
Treasure: 1 wallet-size magnifier card; 1 brass padlock (open, no key); 1 No Parking This Side of Street sign; 12 cans (plus 15 from bike ride earlier in the day).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Baby Got Back – Sir Mix-A-Lot
Brothers in Arms – Dire Straits
The Girl I Knew Somewhere – The Monkees
Cold Water Symmetry – Fiction Plane
I’d Have You Anytime – George Harrison
You Can All Join In – Traffic
Down So Long – Sting
Funk No. 49  - Joe Walsh
Johnny B. Goode (cover) - Off Kilter (Bagpipes!)
The Promised Land – Bruce Springsteen
Evil Ways – Santana
Jealous Guy (cover) – The Faces

No comments:

Post a Comment