Monday, May 2, 2011

Graduation Day: Part 1

My baby graduated yesterday. Daughter No. 1 "finished" her formal education at Illinois Wesleyan University a week ago with her final final. Actually she has an independent study class to complete during May Term that is just prep for her CPA exams (two down, two to go). She graduated summa cum laude in accounting as a recent inductee in Phi Kappa Phi honors society. She's quite a young woman. Photo later.

This is Part 1 because in 30 days Daughter No. 2 concludes her years in the public school system and prepares to head for nearby Monmouth College in the fall. She's an incredible young lady, too. As is D3, my occasional running companion and bestest reading buddy. But this week belongs to Melissa and her achievements. Already she has a job lined up, starting after the first of the year in 2012; summer will see the continuation of bank teller duties. 

So as she commences her life, I commenced my running this morning. I was encouraged by honks and waves from friends I did not recognize through auto glass reflecting the glare of the morning sun, but it helped me to pick up my pace, if only temporarily. It was a dull day scavenging-wise, but it was a good run. I did pass up a basketball in the gutter (a less scrupulous scavenger might have grabbed it, but I figured some kid just let it roll too far). Besides, what would I do with a basketball? My apartment is in the former Galesburg YMCA, but the gymnasium is full of oddments of furniture and appliances; no room for balling or running or any other activity in there. 

More to come, but I have to run (metaphorically speaking).

Today's Stats
Temp: 50 degrees F
Distance: 4.76 miles
Treasure: 1 plastic hanger; 7 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
I Can Make You a Man (Reprise) - Tim Curry (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
The Rising - Bruce Springsteen
I Wanna Be a Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry
Tall Cool One - Robert Plant
Digging in the Dirt - Peter Gabriel
Jumpin' Jack Flash (live) - Peter Frampton (cover)
Don't Let Me Down - The Beatles
The Fuse - Bruce Springsteen
The Burn - Matchbox Twenty
So Much To Say - Dave Matthews Band
If I Needed Someone - The Beatles
Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffett

No comments:

Post a Comment