Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Long, Live Rock

Five songs in today's randomized playlist are live recordings, including one not labeled  as such in any way on the CD. Hence the title of today's post. Yes, that is correctly punctuated. It's not the phrase "long live rock," but "long, live (rhymes with jive) rock." Get it?

With the approach of summer (feels like it's already here today), I believe it is time to restore running discipline and rise early to beat the heat. Last time I heard the temp on the radio before heading out the door it was 72 degrees. Because I spent a few minutes upstairs painting my storage trunk, I figured it was probably a solid 75 by the time I hit the street. Upon returning to my abode, drenched and dripping with sweat, hot and tingly from the sun, with a light burn beginning on my lilly-white, freckled flesh, WKAY/WGIL's Terry Cavanaugh read the weather and declared it to be 85 degrees (high today is expected to be 90!).

You get the point. Already it's feeling hot. Winter running seemed so strange and difficult at first, learning how to dress so as to not freeze nor overheat. I think I've got that down and I prefer it, at least in the middle temps. I've run when the mercury's hovering around zero and that's not really fun. But the heat is just about as bad. The up side is that with the sweat pouring off your body, you just know you're dropping pounds. That feels good -- especially after packing on a few during the winter like some furry woodland critter.

Speaking of furry woodland critters, the kind I often see squished in the road, I almost joined their ranks today. For some reason I just wasn't really alert the first few blocks and twice darted out in front of traffic. I will say, the second instance was only half my fault. The light had turned red for me, but the driver to my right stayed put and appeared to motion to me to cross. I obliged (without bothering to look left) and received a honk and a wake-up call about intersection safety.

Today's Stats
Temp: 75-85 degrees F
Distance: 4.9 miles
Weekly Total: 9.8 miles
Treasure: 1 red washcloth; 1 Wave 100's Menthol Green cigarette pack; 1 Marlboro red pack; 1 nickel; 1 blue plastic bracelet; 1 shower curtain hook, metal; 1 nut; 1 gallon of sweat; two sore nipples; 15 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Time for Me to Fly - REO Speedwagon
Little Sister (live) - Jewel
The White Tree - Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings soundtrack)
If You've Got Trouble - The Beatles (This video is a gem; audio synch is off, but still waaaaay cool!)
Only You - Chicago
What Good is Life? - Guitar Shorty
Run - Collective Soul
Deep Blue Polka Dot - Stan Ridgway
Elevation - U2
Into the Fire (live) - Bruce Springsteen
Believe In Me (live) - Dan Fogelberg
Excitable Boy (live) - Warren Zevon
How Stupid Mr. Bates - The Police
The River (live) - James Taylor & Joni Mitchell
Racing in the Street - Bruce Springsteen

No comments:

Post a Comment