Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rob's Really Good — Really

While I nurse my aching body back to running health, let me enlighten you on a new product I discovered at my favorite store, Big Lots. Perusing the aisles recently I came upon a display of flavored water drinks called Rob's Really Good. Of course the name caught my attention and I was intrigued by the organic status and clever labeling.

Each flavor carries a unique message for positive life change. It may sound like green hippie B.S. to some of you and maybe it is. But I like it better than "New and Improved," "Better Taste, New Package," "Limited Edition" and the other mundane, totally self-promoting, idiotic claims found on most food packaging. I mean, really, are Doritos "Limited Edition" taco flavor tortilla chips a collector's item? Am I supposed to save the bag?

Ooh, I guess so. I just checked and, sure enough, new packaging is coming soon! Seriously? WTF? Who gives a flying leap? Or, to quote the Wedding Singer: "Whoopee-dee-doo!" Who in the farthest reaches of Hades gets excited about new packaging? OK, I actually have a thing for cool packaging, particularly reusable boxes and the like; but chip bags? C'mon.

Having had my laugh over the name of this new-to-me drink, I decided a should try it. You know, conduct my own little taste test. A Pepsi Challenge, sans the colas. So I bought two bottles: Brazilian Orangeade and The Coconut Drink. The orangeade went to work with me Saturday night. The message from South America:
Live & Give Affirmation
Dear Friends,
Thank you for becoming part of our community & enjoying Rob's Really Good drinks. Rob is a master of flavor & attraction. Rob is a real authentic guy & a self-proclaimed genius trying for social change. Buying a Rob's starts your journey of change.

Rob's Secret of Life

Keep your thoughts positive & let abundance flow into your life.

THIS IS YOUR MOMENT.

Be a starter. Send a positive affirmation to a friend.
As with wine, the bouquet
must be sampled first.
I'll up the ante and send a positive affirmation to all my friends who read this. You are wonderful people and you make my life worth living. And to Rob's I say, YUM! I like orange — fruit, juice, candy, color (in Denver Broncos logos) and more. The orangeade was tasty and refreshing. No points for math, though. A 14 oz. bottle contains "approx. 2" servings. I guess that helps keep the nutrition numbers low: 60 calories, 5mg sodium, 16g sugars, 16g carbs. Why not declare 14 ounces to be a serving and give us those numbers. Does anybody drink half a bottle? Not likely. Why did 8 ounces become the serving standard for liquid refreshments?

Anyway, I digress. 

Ahh, refreshing!
It took me a couple of days to get around to The Coconut Drink. No reluctance on my part, just wasn't in a rush. I've had coconut milk straight from the coconut before and it's sweet and tasty. Recently I read something about the health benefits of coconut milk and it's cropping up in health drinks, like Rob's. Less sweet and alluring than the orangeade, The Coconut Drink also contained fewer calories (48) and slightly lower carb and sugar numbers (13) but the same amount of sodium. I may or may not buy it again. The orangeade, though, will pass my gullet many more times I think. 

Oh, almost forgot the words of wisdom from the coconut bottle. More about the power of positive thinking, plus an exercise in affirmation:
Repeat each 5 times.
Practice often. You'll get there.

- I can do anything I set my mind to.
- I keep my thoughts positive.
- Only good comes to me.

Do this every day and attract the positivity of the universe. Rob's Really Good reminds you that happiness is a choice you make. So pop the top and drink in the abundance.

Give it a try. I am. Hopefully it'll help get me back on the streets picking up cans and random treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment