Friday, May 13, 2011

Commando Run

In honor of the U.S. Navy SEALs (and laundry day) I dubbed today's little jaunt the "Commando Run." It was otherwise a rather lazy day. Slept in 'til 8:30, decoupaged my storage trunk (watch for video later) and took a nap. Finally got my butt up and went for a run, visited my buddy Shubie at the church and now I need to go to the store; you can't find everything on the street.

In fact, I didn't much of anything on the streets today. You can see the list below. The coolest piece today would have to be the hoop earring, found in the driveway to the Cottage Hospital doctors' parking lot on the south side of the hospital. Why is that cool? Well, I guess it isn't, except that it's in really good condition. Often metal jewelry found on the street will be bent out of shape or roughed up from being ground into the gritty pavement.

I did get some free food today, but not from the streets. This stuff is unopened and looks good for consumption. Neighbor across the hall and down a door (No. 13) was moving out today -- cute blonde college gal -- and her boyfriend/friend/brother knocked on my door and asked if I would like a carton of Breyers ice cream (Vanilla Caramel Brownie) and a Jack's frozen pizza (sausage). "We're moving and we don't have room for this. They're unopened," he offered. Sure! 

Yea for that. Funny, I've been here about five weeks and I never saw that girl. Of course I don't see many of the other tenants here on a regular basis. One or two a day coming or going, rarely anyone actually on my floor. Weird.

So my trunk project is nearly complete. I need to touch up a few spots where the Mod Podge didn't get a good coat and the edge or corner of a paper is loose. Then I'll give it a sealer coat of something. Let it cure and it'll be ready for storage of blankets. The interior is covered in old college papers -- class notes, tests, fiction stories -- some comic pages from an Amazing Spider-Man comic I picked up at Free Comic Book Day last week, a site map from Grant Village in Yellowstone National Park, a brochure for Philmont Scout Ranch (where I took this trunk filled with my clothes for two summers on staff in the mid-1980s) and some newspaper clippings trumpeting the Denver Broncos' Super Bowl victory over the Atlanta Falcons. The biggest piece is from a full-page "Got Milk?" ad featuring Super Bowl MVP John Elway!

Today's Stats
Temp: 69 degrees F
Distance: 3.7 miles
Weekly Total: 13.5 miles
Treasure: 1 Buick emblem (plastic); 1 large hoop earring (silver); 1 empty pack Basic 100s; 7 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
The Healer - John Lee Hooker
City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson
Come to the Sunshine - Joni Mitchell
Living Thing - ELO
Blank - John Mayer
Move - Miles Davis
Too Many Fish in the Sea - The Commitments
Hey Girl - Billy Joel
Bona & Paul (live) - Wynton Marslis Septet
The Hill - Once
Forth Eorlingas - Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)

No comments:

Post a Comment