Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Photo Finish

As you might have guessed I've been off track for a while. No running in more than a week. I finally started to make some progress on the healing front a couple days ago. I'll pen a testimonial -- or should I say "key a testimonial"? -- soon about the device that's helped to restore my muscles to working condition.

As found on the curb.
In the meantime, I've been biking everywhere as usual and today I happened across another scavenger jackpot. Riding down Academy Street on my way back from Target I spotted an odd assemblage on the curb in front of a home for sale. Surrounding a small white garbage bag were seven assorted photo frames, family photos still in them. There are wedding photos, family portraits, the baby in the bath, the toddler on Santa's lap, a huge group shot taken on an ocean cruise, another huge group shot on the tennis court or something, a "Happy Birthday Bung" photo signed by loved ones. How strange.

It was so odd I wasn't sure they were intended as trash, despite their location on the curb; one was even in the gutter. But they were arranged with some almost as if they were being displayed. But there was that garbage bag. And an empty box from a DVD player or something and a bin of recycleables. Well, just to be sure, I parked my bike and went to the front door to knock. No answer. I tried the handle on the storm door to see if I could knock on the inside door to be better heard. It was locked.

It just so happens that the jackpot house is next door to the home of a co-worker. Maybe Mike or Shelly will know if the neighbors meant to trash such memories. While the door was open, my knock drew no answer. So ... DIBS!

Displayed outside my apartment building.
Some of the frames are pretty nice, in a utilitarian way. We're not talking fancy, custom jobs. But a couple are build-it-yourself types that allow you to match pieces to get just the length and width you desire. I could use these. So I took six of the seven and later told my co-worker to let the neighbors know they could have their photos back if they weren't intended for the garbage man. Mike shared an interesting tale about the elderly folks who moved out last week and it doesn't seem likely they'll come calling.

I'll extract the photos and store them safely for some time, though, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment