Friday, April 29, 2011

Three-Legged Race

OK, so it wasn't a race, per se, but my run today consisted of three separate legs. I did about 2.2 miles from home to the high school; drove to Monmouth on an errand; ran 2.11 miles there just for kicks; drove back to GHS and ran 1.56 miles from there to the Buck Girls' Homestead, then walked home.

That's the great thing about kids: They'll keep you on your toes. I was just getting ready to run this morning with a notion of heading to Walmart to pick up a couple of household essentials (Febreze and cedar blocks for my musty old Scout trunk) when Daughter No. 2 called with a desperate plea.

"Can you come out to the high school by 11:30 and pick up my scholarship application and take it over to Monmouth? You can use my car."

Of course I would do that for her. It's a chance to save some money on college costs and I love her. It just meant a little detour in my route: Run to GHS, drive to Monmouth and back, run home. I figured I could use her car to pick up my odor fighters at Target instead of Wally World to boot. And that's what I did.

The best thing is I know people in Monmouth, so it was an opportunity for a surprise visit. And because of the timing it meant I could do lunch there, too. On a whim I decided to get in a short run while I was in the Maple City. My good friend Jane was not on the college campus (her office has been moved and she now works in the old Kmart out by ShopKo and the highway. Jane was still in moving mode and getting settled in at her new digs. Office politics dictates a staff bond during such stressful times so she was committed to lunch with her cronies.

I decided to take my run west along Broadway from the college, right at the Public Square and north to Pizza Hut for lunch. I stopped at the site of the "Opening Soon!" Market Alley Wines, which is owned by my friend and former co-worker Susan, with whom I share my birthday (year and everything). I think Susan should use her and boyfriend Paul's first initials, stock 500 varieties of wine and call it S&P 500. Alas, she was at her day job in Aledo and the store was dark. But as I turned away from the empty store, I was hailed by another former co-worker -- another Jane no less -- who now works at the radio station in Monmouth. We had a nice chat and I was on my way.

Now, why would I eat at Pizza Hut when I could enjoy some yummy Mexican food or enjoy the home cooking of Maple City Cafe? Well, let me tell you. Besides the fact that I just like pizza any time, the Monmouth Hut has the distinction of delicious chocolate chip cookies at its buffet. Galesburg's Fremont Street Hut had the cookies once when the Lunch Gang visited long ago and never since. I'm telling you, those cooking are scrumpdiddlyumptious! Crispy on the outside, warm and soft on the inside with oozing chocolate chips. O-M-G.

Oh, but how to get back to my car in front of Wallace Hall? I risked the run. If I get sick, I get sick, I figured. I did not get sick. I found only three cans and an uninflated blue balloon in Monmouth, though I did see a couple of noteworthy things I wish I had photographed: The Pizza Hut cashier had a Harry Potter logo tattooed on his right inside forearm and as I ran back down Broadway I passed a woman pushing a stroller and walking a trio of pugs. That would have been a cute one. I just moved off the sidewalk as they approached and she said "Thank you" as I passed, I assume for my courtesy in letting her and her entourage remain on course.

I did get to stop by Jane's new office and say hi to her and Melissa Bankes, a soon-to-be Monmouth College alumna who works for Jane. Jane laughed when it was obvious that I actually had been running.

"I thought you were joking when you said you were running," she smiled. "You're the only person I know who would stop halfway through a run to eat at Pizza Hut."

I guess I'm still a cookie monster at heart. 

The La-Z-Boy, right, was a curb find. The salon hair-dryer
chair, left, was $10 at Salvation Army (yes, it works).
Update: Finally fixed the blue rocking recliner I salvaged from the curb last week. The left side "foot" of the chair had come detached from the frame. I vacuumed out the interior, reattached the base and discovered in the process that it is a genuine La-Z-Boy. As I vacuumed the chair and all its crevices, I discovered a Gerber baby spoon, the kind with the soft rubber coating on the bowl of the spoon for tender baby gums.

Sidebar: Apartment furnishings

You'll see from the photos my lovely new chairs and a pretty cool display piece I found at my folks' house while reacquiring my old Scout trunk, the scruffy black footlocker I took with me my two summers on staff at Philmont Scout Ranch. The trunk, nestled in the basement of my boyhood home on Seminary Street, contained several cases of false teeth molds or templates for molds, whatever you want to call them (below). They had belonged to my Grandpa Adam, my stepmom's dad, who was a dentist. 

His dental office was in a couple rooms off the side of his beautiful big house in Huntingdon Valley, Pa. Interestingly, as I look at the Google Map of that area I see a Buck Road, Philmont Avenue and Philmont Country Club. How cool is that?

Today's Stats
Temp: 58 degrees F
Distance: 5.87 miles
Weekly Total: 10.84
Treasure: 1 white washcloth (dirty); 1 blue balloon; 1 ponytail holder (figure 8 style with two pink balls); 1 Marlboro red box (I've finally thought of something creative to do with these); 1 blue balloon; 1 Gerber baby spoon with purple rubber covering; 10 cans.

iPod Playlist
Hear You Me - Jimmy Eat World
Run - Collective Soul
Clocks - Coldplay
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
Let It Rock - Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne
I Like It - Enrique Iglesias (feat. Pitbull)
Take On Me - a-ha (Link goes to the classic video)
How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-a-Lot
Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
People Are Strange - The Doors
I Ran (So Far Away) - Flock of Seagulls
Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead
Hey Ya! (Radio Mix/Club Mix) - OutKast
In The Waiting Line - Remy Zero
America - Simon & Garfunkel
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (This video has more than 24 million views!)

No comments:

Post a Comment